New pump/filter for my 400 gallon pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
OK, looks like my Laguna just crapped out. I have a Lagune PowerFlo with two chambers and two foams. But it's a real pain to get out to clean.

I'm trying to decide if there's a better filter or maybe I'll just buy another pump for this filter. Any thoughts?

FYI - I'm also running a Mag-Drive 7 with a 2-1/2 gallon bucket, with lava rock under some quilt batting. It's doing a decent job of pulling some crud. This is very easy to clean, so I debate whether I should just make a bigger bucket filter and just use a small fountain pump for effects.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Yeah, I'm probably just going to use the PowerFlow on a fountain and keep the bucket filter going. I may increase the size of the bucket, since it seems to pull the most junk.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Wound up using an old Mag-Drive 18. It wasn't as hard as I thought to convert the fittings over, so I'm using it for the fountain and a Mag-Drive 7 for the bucket.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
It is amazing how one can connect to pumps and such using PVC, vinyl tubes, hot melt, and even a bit of heat to stretch a PVC pipe.

It seems to me that the people making smaller pumps go out of the way to ensure that nothing standard will connect to them. Has anyone else noticed this. Maybe that has changed, the Rio 2500's I have been buying come with a treasure load of connectors for various uses. They are the first small pumps I have purchased in 10 years.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
The Mag wasn't the problem, it had standard threaded pipe ends. The Laguna had it's special quick connect fittings. They make it sound like they put them there for us and to make it easier. Except they cost $5 - $10 each when you need a new one as opposed to the standard threaded fitting at HD or Lowes for less then a $1.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
How old id the Pump that Pooped out on you? I thought one of my old 200GPH mag drive pumps went out, but the impeller shaft fell out of one side of it "Holding brackets" has been working in a fountain in the front yard ever since I fixed it lol, Not saying that is the problem, but plug it in and if the Mag cylinder in the middle spins then it might be an easy fix and say you a few bucks :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Jason said:
How old id the Pump that Pooped out on you? I thought one of my old 200GPH mag drive pumps went out, but the impeller shaft fell out of one side of it "Holding brackets" has been working in a fountain in the front yard ever since I fixed it lol, Not saying that is the problem, but plug it in and if the Mag cylinder in the middle spins then it might be an easy fix and say you a few bucks :)
The Laguna was around 10 years, the impeller shaft broke, but a new impeller didn't fix it. Something (maybe the thermo shut-off) is wrong with it, it just turns off after 25 seconds. The Mag-Drive is around same age, but has a newer impeller. It still looks good. I've been using mag-drives for years and they've been very reliable.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
It may vary from brand to brand but I found that the magnets in the impellers get weak and need replacing in something like 7 or 10 years. YMMV.

Ask a Question