New raised pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I’ve just made a small raised pond for my kids, and for me:). However I now realise that this was maybe not the best place for me to put it. It was the best place for the garden but it’s in the shade from about 11.00 o’clock. Just wondered if anyone could advise Me on the best plants to use as it’s shaded for so long. And if anyone could advise on the amount of fish I should stock that would be amazing aswell. Obv I cant get any fish as everything is closed but I’d like to get the plants before. Probably just Gona be goldfish. Pond is 1500 long 800 wide and 600 deep. (720 litres I think)
Many thanks
D77780BE-36E9-4F25-9EEB-23EE8FE3E328.jpeg
26B0D569-4890-4D71-8E74-AFCAA0CE6EA4.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh how pretty! Welcome to the GPF!

You built yourself a goldfish pond. I'd start with a couple and watch the magic happen... or not, if you happen to choose two of the same sex!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks try my best to get a boy and a girl. And thanks j.w how did you know I’m scared of spiders lovely to see one wink at me

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ha Ha most people don't like spiders but I do. Oh and a possible water plant for the shade might be a Water Hawthorn plant. https://pondmegastore.com/products/water-hawthorne-aponogeton-distachyos
Also Pennywort will grow in shade and prolly many others. I have some Parrots feather in the shade too. Sweet Flag is a garden plant that will grow in a pot in the pond also in shade.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
You did a beautiful job creating that water feature! You are very talented.

I agree, a couple of goldfish would fit nicely. If you want, you can buy the fancy goldfish. They are cute and wiggle when they swim.

Do not get koi. Koi need way more room. Like 1,000 gallons for one.

Enjoy!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome Mossydrog! That is a magnificent pond. One thing you might consider before adding fish is getting the pond cycled. Here is an interesting article that discusses how to do it: https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm
After you get the pond cycled, you can easily make your pond home to a couple of very lucky goldfish.
For plants, you can add them immediately. In fact, more plants the better for getting your pond ready for the fish. Here is a link that discusses plants: https://www.pondtrademag.com/shade-loving-plants/
Please keep us posted on your progress. Way to go!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This forums amazing wasn’t sure if anyone would look at my post and respond. Many thanks all. I know what I need to get now and appreciate the positive comments glad you like it. I’m a joiner so I’m lucky to be little bit handy with wood. Kids Wana put some lego in so last nite I’ve glued the pieces together with fish friendly glue I’ll put a pic on when it’s done. Not Gona be everyone’s like but my kids love it. Can’t wait to get my plants and I will cycle the pond, in no rush to get fish until it’s ready.
Also from what Uve said above should I only be putting maybe 2 or 3 fish in here? Thanks

Reaction score
Country
United States
We are happy you joined! You get an A+ for doing this project for the kids. Good for you! Those Lego boats pictured are very cool. Yes, keep it simple with one or two fish. Maintenance will be much easier leaving you time to enjoy the kids.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Common and comet goldfish get big, 12+ inches, so keep in mind the full size they will get. And less fish tends to become many generations of fish, so start with few and let the kids find the babies and be excited.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good point I forget about the breeding. They’ll love it hopefully get a Randy couple.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well after all nite gluing each piece my boys well happy!! He’s made his own fisherman aswell can’t wait to get plants and eventually goldfish to Finnish it. Made them well happy playing in the water in this lockdown. Thanks for all advice I’ve taken it all on board.. sorry bout the sharks
BB980A5F-4173-449F-A3E5-FBC99B76F39A.jpeg
DDA77AF8-7D4F-488F-8A41-74F4F696B811.jpeg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
As a woodworker I love that wood and the pond matchs so well great job .Gotta love the lego people

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nicely done!! thanks for sharing.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum! of pond lovers.

Beautiful job! I would stick with fan tails, they are cute, stay small and would love that pond.

Ask a Question