New Rescued Bettas

Reaction score
I went to the pet store today and saw the bettas, just looking sad in the plastic cups ...... broke my heart. I picked three that looked the saddest.

One is in my 110gal stock 'pond' with some platys and mosquito fish, the other is my 35 gall stock mini 'pond'. Both of these 'ponds' have pumps, no real bio filter other than the plants in the pond. Hopefully that will be enough. Although I'm a little worried as I woke up to HUNDREDS of tadpoles in both ponds - worried about ammonia. I mean hundreds! Was hoping the fish would eat them, but they haven't.

The third fish I have in it a large jar type container with some under water plants in there. There is no pump.

So for the third fish in the ' jar', which is pretty big, he seems lost in it after being in a cup, how often do I change the water? Do I do 100% water changes? Or just partial? I have rocks in the jar with the plants rooted in the rocks. Should I syphon those out? How often? I'd love this to be successful, its on my dining room table and looks really nice with the plants and the fish swimming between them - very Martha Stewart looking. And how often should I feed him? I have a friend that feeds hers once or twice a week, but that seems mean.

Thanks for your info.

Reaction score
I used to have one in a similar container that had a bare root plant floating on the top of the water. It nibbled on the roots often. Sorry cant remember anything else about the care.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Bettas in reality do better on their own in a species aquarium Pricilla thats why the males are kept in jars on their own , they like a still surface to make their bubble nest.(y)

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
I do 100% water changes on my unfiltered betta tanks (if you test the water for ammonia you will get an idea on how often you need to change the water for your particular fish)

They prefer still water and don't always do well in tanks with a lot of aeration or water movement. They do not eat roots from plants and should be fed sparingly as they tend to bloat up (because they are food seeking missiles and will eat as much as they can get) ;) that being said they should be fed daily but in small amounts. I normally fast them one day a week. I'm sure they could survive only being fed once or twice a week but its not optimal, at least in my opinion.

Bettas are pretty tough fish with interesting habits and awesome personalities given the proper care. I always cringe when I hear someone say how boring bettas are and that they just see them laying on the bottom of their little cups in the stores. Think about it though....how do you think they should look being kept in tiny amounts of ammonia poisoned water, temperatures that are less than ideal and probably not been fed in days? :(

I would love to see pictures of your new guys or grrls :D

Reaction score
Country
United States
So how are the new bettas doing priscilla?

Would love to see your "dining room" fish :D

I scored two new guys recently myself. Wasn't actually looking at the time but couldn't resist :LOL:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have my betta in the nature pond. No filtration or pump, just plants. She's been in there for may be 2 months now and is now big and fat lol. She ate the mosquitoes larvae.

The interesting part is, I put in like 4 guppy babies just to see how they do and they are thriving in there too. Very big and pretty. I didnt do any water change, I just let the pond be and it's doing great by itself.

Reaction score
The two in the outside ponds, I can't see them, They must hiding under all the plants. Guessing they are eating bugs, mosquito larva as they don't come out for feedings.

The one on that table ....... I just put him in my son's tank. I checked the water this morning and it showed some ammonia and I realized it was going to be a three day thing (I think my son was feeding them too much). I couldn't deal with every three days.

I have wayyyyy too many tanks and ponds going now.

Ask a Question