New router and printer...

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Feel so good that I just want to post it out here. Old timers will know what I mean...

I just installed a new router and it felt so good. With everyone in my household with phones, laptops and tablets that connect via wifi, I was finding that my internet connection speed had dropped to zero. Ironic considering that my computer was linked by cable to the the router and not wireless.

I finally installed a new router with humongous speeds. And anyone who's ever installed routers pre-XP or XP knows what a hassle that was and I guess the horrors has always stayed with me. The installation didn't go as per the instruction sheet but I was very happy to have everyone up and running this morning. And with the new security, I only needed a pass phrase and not the 35 digit password that everyone dreaded.

On top of that, I also installed a new printer this morning. And better yet, it basically installed itself. It is so wonderful that anyone from anywhere from inside the house can print from their laptop or computer and don't need a cable connection. It's like magic! I'm just so fascinated and happy with that. Gone are the days when we all had our little itty-bitty printers next to the computer. And gone also are the days when we had to manually configure everything, people under 20 won't know what I'm talking about. I'm just so chuffed by it all!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
On top of that, I also installed a new printer this morning. And better yet, it basically installed itself. It is so wonderful that anyone from anywhere from inside the house can print from their laptop or computer and don't need a cable connection. It's like magic!

yeah, no kidding. I love that I can print anything even with the printer two rooms away.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
yeah, no kidding. I love that I can print anything even with the printer two rooms away.

Way to go! We just put in a printer, scanner, copy machine, now we do have to walk to the printer to scan and copy but it sure is nice to have all the files fly over to the computer without an wire. lol And be able to print from the computer, phones, tabs with a click.

I probably need to up date our modem, it has been a while since we did.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Very good move to the future John. We just got rid of our xp computers and bought new Dell Win 7's that came w/ Win 8 also and we love them :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Laughing, my dear sweet husband asked me if we should throw out a broke win 95 puter...........guess the answer.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
We still have 2 XP laptops and 1 Vista desktop. The rest are Win7's. We're getting a new laptop with Win8. Wish I could have gotten a Win7 laptop instead.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Thanks, j.w. What you can learn in a fish forum. I should start asking my life questions here too!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol John, win 8 has issues, I am using 8.1 (mine came as 8.1) went from xp to 8.1 with a touchscreen lappy. And instead of a 12 lb lappy I have a 3 lb one. I have learned to love the touch screen. Since 8 had so many issues they fixed them then offered a free upgrade.

But like jw says you can make it look like win7 no apps, just a desktop. I like the apps myself.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
New post...

For those of you with kids, at what age do they start taking care of household electronics?

I have teenagers in my household and at my advance age, I'm still the one doing all the electronic stuff. When my kids and my wife have wi-fi connection issues, printer issues, issues with connecting the TV, I'm the one doing it. But when I look at all my in-laws, their kids do all that stuff.

I'm ranting here now but tonight when my daughter had problems with the printer, I had to debug it and basically all it was was resetting each part of the connection until it worked. (Pretty much what you do to find a pond leak!) But I'm actually a little flummoxed at their lack of electronic ability.

I dunno, maybe it's because we do too much for them. Ug. I'll end with something that made me laugh. One time we were eating something and my daughter took a spoon out of the utensil drawer to use. I told her she needed a fork, not a spoon. So she threw the perfectly clean spoon into the sink to be washed. And I said why, she hadn't even used it. Then I realized that, to my kids, dishes and utensils were things that magically appeared clean in the cabinets after they threw them into the sink. Ug.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Laughing Keith! I was raised raising kids, it was nothing to wash dirty diapers, cook, clean, sew. My dad raised me with tools, my mom raised me raising kids (well it started when I got to 10 yo)
Luckily for me, I find nothing too hard of a task to take on. Much rather be this way then, oh my a button fell off what do I do?????????????? roflamo

I had a home computer in the early 80's my late husband worked for motorola, he bought me a mac se for almost 4k, been hooked on electronics ever since.

Ask a Question