New season. Still in transition...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I haven't posted in a while, but I got all my 18 golds moved from PA to Ohio last summer. Things happened and new pond couldn't be dug last summer. It WILL be done within the next couple months. In the meantime, they've all been in a 100gal stock tank. Yes, I know that's too small! Up until it got cold, I was doing very frequent water changes, few feedings, testing, and really had no problems with water quality.
I stopped the bucket filter, kept the air going, placed a stock tank heater for the winter, and crossed my fingers.
Last weekend, since it's getting a bit warmer, I removed the screen (its under a tree), and did a 40% water change. SO much gunk was stirred up in the process, so I got the bucket filter restarted. I also added some more cold weather bacteria (which i had been doing all winter).
Today I added some API Pond-zyme, hoping it'll help with some of the muck. And decided to check the water.
pH 8.2 (this has been consistent for a year)
Kh 6 drops (107)
Ammonia 0.5
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
Water temp is still <40degrees.

Now my question: I inadvertantly left my testing kit in a tote outside all winter. Would that affect the effectiveness of the tests? I mean, I'm sure all those little bottles froze. I'm just not sure if I should trust those numbers.

I just can't wait for it to warm up so I can get some plants back in there. There Is some hornwort, but it doesn't look very good. Fish were pretty active today. I'm just surprised they all survived!

Sorry so lengthy for just one question!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Then your 100 gallon set up isn't so worrisome! 18 koi in 100 gallons - that would have been a problem!

I know nothing about water testing and test kits so no help there - @MitchM... can you answer this one? Does it matter if test kits get frozen?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wouldn't trust the test kits after being left outside all winter. I would pitch them.

The bottled bacteria is a waste of money and totally unnecessary. Water changes are going to be your best friend during this time.

I would suggest removing all the fish to a plastic tote (or anything else big enough and fish safe) while you dump all the dirty water and refill with new. Don't scrub the sides of the tank or get too crazy cleaning the filter.

Make sure to use a good water conditioner like Prime to take care of chlorine, chloramines, heavy metals, etc. The added bonus to using Prime is that it will also make any ammonia or nitrite safe for fish while the filter is getting back up to par (dosing every 24-48 hours)

Before doing any large water change check the ph of tank water and ph of tap water. You don't want to take fish in a higher ph and drop suddenly to a lower ph. Going from lower to higher is normally much less stressful.

Good luck and keep us posted

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
smhello.gif
welcome back!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Test kits, what are those,lol..................I never use them anymore since starting up my pond so long ago, so shame on me some would say :cool:
If you are gonna use them I would make sure they are good and get new ones tho.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Then your 100 gallon set up isn't so worrisome! 18 koi in 100 gallons - that would have been a problem!

I know nothing about water testing and test kits so no help there - @MitchM... can you answer this one? Does it matter if test kits get frozen?

They might be ok, as long as they aren't expired and you shake them really well, at least 1 minute per bottle.
Cold weather can cause the chemicals to separate within the solution.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I wouldn't trust the test kits after being left outside all winter. I would pitch them.

The bottled bacteria is a waste of money and totally unnecessary. Water changes are going to be your best friend during this time.

I would suggest removing all the fish to a plastic tote (or anything else big enough and fish safe) while you dump all the dirty water and refill with new. Don't scrub the sides of the tank or get too crazy cleaning the filter.

Make sure to use a good water conditioner like Prime to take care of chlorine, chloramines, heavy metals, etc. The added bonus to using Prime is that it will also make any ammonia or nitrite safe for fish while the filter is getting back up to par (dosing every 24-48 hours)

Before doing any large water change check the ph of tank water and ph of tap water. You don't want to take fish in a higher ph and drop suddenly to a lower ph. Going from lower to higher is normally much less stressful.

Good luck and keep us posted

I have one of those big blow Up kiddie pools that I use when I really do a clean out. But unfortunately, that's not gonna be for a little bit still cuz even tho its in the 50s today, it's to snow tomorrow night .

Ask a Question