New season. Still in transition...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I haven't posted in a while, but I got all my 18 golds moved from PA to Ohio last summer. Things happened and new pond couldn't be dug last summer. It WILL be done within the next couple months. In the meantime, they've all been in a 100gal stock tank. Yes, I know that's too small! Up until it got cold, I was doing very frequent water changes, few feedings, testing, and really had no problems with water quality.
I stopped the bucket filter, kept the air going, placed a stock tank heater for the winter, and crossed my fingers.
Last weekend, since it's getting a bit warmer, I removed the screen (its under a tree), and did a 40% water change. SO much gunk was stirred up in the process, so I got the bucket filter restarted. I also added some more cold weather bacteria (which i had been doing all winter).
Today I added some API Pond-zyme, hoping it'll help with some of the muck. And decided to check the water.
pH 8.2 (this has been consistent for a year)
Kh 6 drops (107)
Ammonia 0.5
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
Water temp is still <40degrees.

Now my question: I inadvertantly left my testing kit in a tote outside all winter. Would that affect the effectiveness of the tests? I mean, I'm sure all those little bottles froze. I'm just not sure if I should trust those numbers.

I just can't wait for it to warm up so I can get some plants back in there. There Is some hornwort, but it doesn't look very good. Fish were pretty active today. I'm just surprised they all survived!

Sorry so lengthy for just one question!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I haven't posted in a while, but I got all my 18 golds moved from PA to Ohio last summer. Things happened and new pond couldn't be dug last summer. It WILL be done within the next couple months. In the meantime, they've all been in a 100gal stock tank. Yes, I know that's too small! Up until it got cold, I was doing very frequent water changes, few feedings, testing, and really had no problems with water quality.
I stopped the bucket filter, kept the air going, placed a stock tank heater for the winter, and crossed my fingers.
Last weekend, since it's getting a bit warmer, I removed the screen (its under a tree), and did a 40% water change. SO much gunk was stirred up in the process, so I got the bucket filter restarted. I also added some more cold weather bacteria (which i had been doing all winter).
Today I added some API Pond-zyme, hoping it'll help with some of the muck. And decided to check the water.
Kh 6 drops (107)
Ammonia 0.5
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5

Now my question: I inadvertantly left my testing kit in a tote outside all winter. Would that affect the effectiveness of the tests? I mean, I'm sure all those little bottles froze. I'm just not sure if I should trust those numbers.

I just can't wait for it to warm up so I can get some plants back in there. There Is some hornwort, but it doesn't look very good. Fish were pretty active today. I'm just surprised they all survived!

Sorry! Somehow this posted twice!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Kh 6 drops (107)
Ammonia 0.5
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5

I'd think the freezing would affect the bottles in the test kit. I always bring them in and replace by the expiration date. You've got a lot of fish in a small place as you know. Temps still low so the ammonia is not going to affect them until temp hits about 68F based on the 8.2 pH and .50 ammonia. As the temp rises, the ammonia based on your pH is the determining factor of concern. Get new test solutions and watch that ammonia. I have 10 koi in 2000 gallons so hard to relate. Check out this ... OH - stop feeding at <40F and bring the ammonia down that way. Once you hit 50 - 55F, start feeding lightly. When do you plan on having a system finished up and running?

Great interactive chart >>> . http://www.koiphen.com/forums/koicalcs.php?do=calcnh3c

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
For the couple dollars why try it . but if you try one test and it is exactly as it was the last time you tested the water, you may be ok .

Ask a Question