New site just found it :) maybe just some advise

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Hi love this site and the info I have read Im from Johanneburg .South Africa

I built a pond last year havent had any fish die had about 25-30 goldfish and had 4 koi but my pump packed up during the night and in the morning 3kois died and xouple goldfish, is this right that they would die so fast without the pump working. My pond is 3mtr x 2mtr x 800mm deep have a 4000ltr per/h pump with a 5000ltr bio filter, did my fish die maybe because it is overstocked probably a stupid question ĺol the kois were over a year old about 250mm long

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Thanks Meyer,well hope i dont get some mare babies then as I have couple of fat looking goldfish
Was sad about the koi had them for over a year and watched them grom from 50mm to abot 250mm think need to maybe consider redoing my pond and make it bigger

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forums! You should find a new home for your remaining koi and most of your goldies. Your system is grossly overstocked for it's size and I fear your fish will continue to die off as they grow and multiply. Good luck!

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Thanks Red when I started last year I only had 13 goldfish and 4 koi im sure some of the goldfish had eggs soon after i got them

I guess i will try find a bew home for some

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! I agree with the above, over stocked!

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Maybe a local pet shop will take some off your hands. It's great to have a member in South Africa.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
i assume they died because of oxygen , not bcz of lack of filtration thats why it was quick , were u not around?
i think now its not overstocked as u only have few goldfishes and 1 koileft , you can still raise them as they survived till now but need to add aerator and upgrade pond asap .

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
welcomeb.gif

Good to have you with us!

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
How many fish do you think my size pond can handle
Stocking capacity is a topic of varying opinions. Guidelines vary in approach, for example: the surface area approach may say you need up to 300 square feet (or more) of surface area for each fully grown koi, 150 square feet for each goldfish. Others, from the volume approach, say you should have at least 30 gallons of water volume for each adult goldfish and 150 gallons (or more) for each koi. Opinions on all these numbers vary widely.
All that said, I myself err on the side of caution and understock our system, well below any of the suggested parameters. We have nine fish, about 12 pounds of fish biomass, in a 6000 gallon system. In my opinion, understocking your pond results in less stress on your fish, less stress on their aquatic environment and less stress on you, the pond owner.

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
There are so many variables, including the SSA of your pond and filters and their ability to process accumulated waste...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
you can calculate the surface area, look up your likely high temps to estimate dissolved oxygen levels, then look up some stocking rates according to the fish size and number

Ask a Question