New, small pond and a mess

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,

I'm new to the world of ponds. I've dug a small pond [1.7m x 1.4m x 0.6m], and I happily followed the instructions in the pond book I bought. It's got underlay and a decent liner. And then it's here that I think I started making problems for myself. I lined it with upturned turf and gave the ledges a nice layer of soil.

I've planted some plants on the edges and there's some oxygenating plants floating about. There's some frogbit on the way. There's a solar powered aerator too. I'm not planning on having any fish. The pond is for the insects, birds, and frogs.

IMG_20210415_115418.jpg

The pond is in partial shade.

The water hasn't cleared and algae and an ugly scum has formed.

I'm starting to think that there's just too many nutrients and muck in the water, but honestly, I'm just guessing. I'm wondering whether I need to rescue my plants, put them in those plastic mesh tray things, remove the turf and soil, and maybe also invest in a pump/filter.

Before I recklessly charge ahead [again], do you think that's the right direction to go in?

All advice, thought, comments, and guidance are welcome. Thank you very much in advance

Alistair

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well, lining a pond with sod... that's a new one! What was your thought process when you did that?

I'd say yes - get the grass and (I assume) dirt out, and get a good pump. A filter will help with clearing any floating debris. Eventually things will settle, but it does take time for a pond to find it's balance, so be patient.

And then get some fish... your plants will thank you! A few goldfish would be so pretty in your pond and will definitely help your plants grow!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

Get the dirt the sod out, put the plants in kitty litter in a pot or in pea gravel. Put in a few fish small like fan tails, minnows. Give the pond time and it will be great

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1619020607075.gif
and welcome @IndolentFop
Yep no sod in ponds as it makes a mucky mess. Plants in pots is good. 100% clay and additive free kitty litter. You can buy a brand called Special Kitty at Wal-mart and there are other kinds at other stores also. Make sure no perfumes etc. just 100% clay on the label. Nice green short, good, carpet algae will form on your liner. You want to keep that on there.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you everyone. Yes, I was beginning to fear that I was going to have get the turf out. That idea was in my pond book. I'll go and buy the stuff I need on Friday. I'll have a look for a small solar pump / filter too although I don't think I want a big fountain - it's only a tiny pond.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you to everyone who gave me some advice. I've removed the turf and soil, installed a filter and pump, added some more plants, and used some gypsum to clear the water of fine clay particles. The water's a bit green so that's the next challenge.
IMG_20210428_124632.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your next challange should be to dispose of the book. And build yourself a bog from the pic you seem to have a perfect spot for it. Your water will be crystall clear and so long as you don't go crazy and over stock with fish and over feed . Your worries will be over

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Your next challange should be to dispose of the book. And build yourself a bog from the pic you seem to have a perfect spot for it. Your water will be crystall clear and so long as you don't go crazy and over stock with fish and over feed . Your worries will be over
Ha ha! The book is being consigned to the dustbin of pond history. Yes, I was considering making a bog, but perhaps a very small, constrained one as I'm not too fussed about having a fountain. The earth beyond the pond is a vegetable patch.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ohhhhhhhhh build the bog build it the size it needs to be in your veggie patch then place a tomatoes plant in the bog you'll regret never doing it sooner @brokensword has them in his bog

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
yeah, as GB said; I've grown tomatoes in the bog; the plants get huge. Tomatoes like moisture and constant feeding of pond water is like drip-line fertilizer for a junkie!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can imagine. On a similar, but less food safe note, the tomatoes we used to see growing at the edges of the local sewerage plant were always thriving!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Don't stress over the green water - give your pond time to mature and see what happens. The worst thing you can do is to start throwing "solutions" at something which only causes more "somethings". Green water in a new pond is perfectly normal.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Don't stress over the green water - give your pond time to mature and see what happens. The worst thing you can do is to start throwing "solutions" at something which only causes more "somethings". Green water in a new pond is perfectly normal.
Hi Lisa

Thank you for this advice. I think it's eminently sensible. I've got some floating plants coming this month so that should help with reducing light levels, the fountain is aerating the water, and there's a bag of barley straw floating there too - so that should do it for now. I don't want add any chemical formulae to it. I'll try not to worry!

Ask a Question