New small pond with 2 waterfalls - pump and other questions

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am building a small pond (kind of ameoba shaped preformed liner measuring approx 4' x 4.5' x 18")and plan to put 2 small waterfalls into it. The waterfalls will only be one level approx 1 - 1.5' high from top of main pond. I used a calculator to determine pond is approx 200 gallons.

So have a few questions I am hoping someone can help me with...

1. Trying to determine what size pump to get as the 2 waterfall requirement is throwing me off and if I need a special one to handle the 2 waterfalls (2 discharges from filter) or if I can just put a "Y" adapter in one hose coming out of filter and split to the 2 waterfalls

2. Do I need a filter and is that a seperate unit from the pump? How do I pick out a filter if so?

3. I plan to just build the waterfalls out of flexible pond liner and line with necessary rocks. Do I run the hose directly to the main flat rock and heard you can place a small rock in front of the hose to spread the waterflow or do I create a small basin to run the tube into that and let it overflow over the flat rock for my waterfall?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you can use one pump and tee it off, or tee it off after one filter feeding the two waterfalls. a basin in each waterfall is what i would do, maybe a couple of rubber maid 10 gallon totes filled with more media for more filtration. or 5 gallon buckets..you could parially bury if you want your waterfalls low profile. pile dirt around either and cover in large stone or flat sone. a 750gph pump would be the smallest pump i'd use and that wont exactly be niagra falls split between two falls. but a place to start..the bigger the filter the more flow you can run efficiently thru the filter. the underwater filters are garbage.. build your own bio filter.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Harbor Freight has a nice pump that is about 350GPH. I have several and use them all over my ponds, tanks and even to water plants with water changes. I realy like the idea that they have a built in bio filter and can be easily disassembled to clean out. it comes with all kinds of attachments as well. i added the flex hose that Home Depot sells. I would not be without it. I even toss it in my pond during heavy rains to keep the pond from overflowing. Recently, i used it to cycle water through a milk crate filled with batting to clear my water after the spawn.

Reaction score
Well everyone, wanted to stop back in and thank everyone for all of their help and suggestions. After much work, dealing with various issues (waterfall leaks) and learning as I go, my new pond is up and running. After some trial and error, I ended up with a 700gph pump to handle the correct flow for the 2 waterfalls. I was having alot of trouble with various leaks from the waterfalls resulting in waterloss (even with liner being placed under the rocks and back into the pond). So a couple weeks and a few bottles of waterfall foam later (finally got the hang of that foam and didn't end up wasting half the bottle), I am happy to say the pond is not losing any more water with the waterfalls, except a little from some minor splashing. However while I was having issues with the waterfalls leaking, I decided to put in a 2nd pump (325gph) that can be run whenever I turn the waterfalls off, as I don't need the waterfalls running in the middle of the winter and want the ability to turn off without affecting the pond.

I have some small little goldfish in the pond and 2 plants (although not a fan of the plants in the corners by the waterfalls) in it now. Now need to figure out what plants I need/want in there to help with the pond and get some larger fish.

Anyhow, thank you all for your help and here are some pictures of my new pond.

Pond-01.jpg

Pond-07.jpg

Pond-09.jpg

Pond-13.jpg

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
alright! looks fantastic...how about some fish pix?..when you get them..if you dont have any already.
we are glad to help!!

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Now need to learn about fish and pond plants. Have some lil goldfish in there to see how they do, but then was at a local store and the guy told me that was a big mistake every new pond owner makes. Just because lil goldfish, which may already be diseased die or don't die, will be no indication whether bigger and more expensive fish die or live.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
well at only 200 gallons, you would be best to stick with golfish varieties. but comets sarosas and wakins can be as pretty as some koi. and they max out alot smaller than koi.

Reaction score
Yeah, I am actually doubting if that pond is even 200 gallons. Very hard to measure due to the shape and had no information on it when I bought it. So figured I can't go crazy with fish, especially ones that get big like I know Koi can. I saw some pretty cool looking goldfish in local store yesterday that to the newbie like me, looked pretty similar to koi. I just want some bright colored fish swimming around that people can see.

Koiguy - is there a certain thing I need to look for or at in buying goldfish? I saw several different kinds and sizes at the store. Also, any suggestions on how to ensure the pond is ready for them and how I gauge how many fish is a good amount to have in there? (I do plan to do some research, but thought I would ask you as well).

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
just what you like...feeder fish are like 10 for a buck and some places will let you pick the ones you like, they are good if youd like to watch your fish grow out. some will not make it because they usually arent fed or cared for.. theyre sold as food for other fish. but i know someone who bought 10, last year,7 made it and are 5'" now and pretty nice looking fish with some nice koi like markings. and youd be rescuing them from certain death.

Ask a Question