New stream questions

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm considering putting in a new stream starting with a water fall and small pool and ending in a pond less water feature. The grade from the pond less water feature to the top of the weir is 3 feet and 3 ft long. There will be a 2 ft waterfall and a total of 6ft stream with maximum width at 4 ft and maximum depth at 2.5 feet. I calculated the pump I will need to be 12, 500 which should be in the neighborhood of $350-400. I usually order my pond stuff thru 1/2 off ponds. I have several questions that I need opinions on:
1. Are my pump calculations correct?
2. How do I calculate the water capacity of the stream in order to make sure I have a large enough hole for the pondless feature. I looked up some formulas and came up with a capacity of 1346 gal. According to the article I read if the hole for the pondless feature is 10 ft x5 ft and 3 ft deep and offsetting the stones is will only hold 300 gal.
3. Is there another option if I do not have a large enough warea for the pond less water feature i.e run off? Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I don't have a stream, but would love to have one. @RobAmy has a beautiful stream that empties in his pond, the wildlife love it. @addy1 also has a beautiful stream winding its way down a hill to her pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have water retention basins in the stream, small to large. At a few of the switch backs they are small ponds. That way when it runs and turns off (on a timer) a lot of the stream water is held in the stream, not in the big pond it flows into.

Reaction score
I have a 40-foot stream that starts 15 feet higher than the pond. My stream is only about 7" deep and it never fills up with water. 2.5 feet sounds more like a pond than a stream. I'm not sure that you will be able to keep the water in the stream without some serious experimenting. The size of the pump sounds huge but if that's what the numbers tell you then I guess that's what you need. You will certainly want to add a valve so that you can regulate the flow. My pump is about 5000 gph and if I run it full force it's too much for the waterfall to handle and that is at a 15-foot head and that's after it goes into a 275 gallon holding tank and comes out and then goes to the waterfall.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My stream is only about 7" deep and it never fills up with water
Mine is around 7-10 inches deep mainly to handle the slope drop. Dig down the upper edge build up the lower edge of the stream.
85 feet long. Mine also never fills with water I do have a real nice flow when it is running.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Your depth is a bit deep in my opinion and that pump my be a bit too powerful. My stream starts about 2ft wide then does to 6ft wide and is 19ft long. I believe the deepest is 8" and goes to 1" to 2" for wildlife. I use a a total 6600 gph with 2 pumps. One is 4800 gph and the second is 1800 gph.

Ask a Question