new stream to pond construction

Reaction score
good day all!

I've been lurking these many months and want to thank many for the invaluable comments which have made me learn a lot about pond construction.

I will be posting pictures of my existing 1000 gallon pond shortly, but in the meantime I'm wondering if i could get hints/tips on the following new pond I'm being tasked to build:

basically, what is required is a waterfall feeding a stream which will measure 40 feet long which will end into a circular pond of 3000 gallons. The grade of the land and hollow marries very well this scheme but my main stumbling block is the pump to run it all.

I think its clear the pump will be in the main circular body of water of the pond and will need to push up via hard plumbing back up to the waterfall and the gravity will take its course.

I imagine in a worst case scenario that i should calculate 15 feet head ( from pump at the bottom of pond to top of waterfall) + probably and additional 15 feet head due to the length of the run from pump to waterfall ( distance wise, not height wise )

Am i correct in my assumption and what GPH pump should i be thinking about?

best regards!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum. There are lots of knowlegable folks here with formulas and recommendations. I personally prefer submersibles and Harbor Freight has a lot to choose from. I am using several of their 3200 GPH pumps now for the past 3 years. On sale, you can get them for $89. Normal price is $129.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I am going to assume your waterfall is going to start 15ft above your pond,,
going 40 ft with the return pipe you are going to have some loss but it wont be that great
Lets say you have 19 ft of head..After you deduct the head loss off , You would still want at least 2000 gph at the top of the stream / water fall to keep the pond happy

I would run a 2" pvc pipe from the pump to the top

Reaction score
Thanks Dr Case!

you assume right, and i just can't believe the pricing based on the website you suggested...going to a big box store and pricing a pump sized at 3200GPH would cost 5x what you suggested...i guess that fancy packaging from All-Green is expensive!

Many many thanks again!

Ask a Question