New test kit PICS!

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Haven't used a test kit in years, ponds been running successful for years. But I started to get curious, especially about my PH and phosphate. And why not check for ammonia while I'm at it..
I got this Pond Master test kit online for 1/2 what they wanted in the store it was the most involved one I saw for ponding.
012.JPG

These are my parameters, note that I do use a dye so my pond water has a SLIGHT brown tint to it.
016.JPG

017.JPG

018.JPG

My PH surprised me, had heavy rain day before.
019.JPG

So I see everything is doing well, I've got to stop feeding those guys every-time I go out! But glad to have the kit on hand. Forgot to add, 58* at test time.

peter hillman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
It was raining most the night again so I decided to test the rainwater....
003.JPG
004.JPG

Phosphate and Nitrite check out nice!
005.JPG

Low Low PH!
006.JPG

But WOW look at the ammonia! Thought there was a mix up, I rinsed and retested ammonia. Why rainwater so high?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
If the kit was 1/2 price, what is the expiry date?:)
Where did you collect the rainwater from? Could there be an accumulation of decaying organics, like bird poop, in the water?

peter hillman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
If the kit was 1/2 price, what is the expiry date?:)
Where did you collect the rainwater from? Could there be an accumulation of decaying organics, like bird poop, in the water?
Bottles say 6/18. $22 is the going online price for these vs 44 at the pet store. I used a plastic drink cup to collect the rain gushing down my gazebo cover, it was pouring hard at the time. That cover got washed good two days ago when it rained hard. This is the first time I've tested rainwater I don't understand the ammonia part. Where would it derive from?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Bottles say 6/18. $22 is the going online price for these vs 44 at the pet store. I used a plastic drink cup to collect the rain gushing down my gazebo cover, it was pouring hard at the time. That cover got washed good two days ago when it rained hard. This is the first time I've tested rainwater I don't understand the ammonia part. Where would it derive from?

Rain water, unfortunately, is not the 'pure' water that we would like to believe. Depending on geography, it can contain many different ions and anions of various compounds, Ammonia being one of these.Higher concentrations are usually found in arid and semi-arid areas where more Ammonia is released into the atmosphere. The levels that are usually experienced are not a cause for concern unless one is collecting rainwater for use in pond water changes. The naturally occurring addition of rainwater to a pond by weather systems is small in comparison to the overall capacity (gallons) of a typical pond and is quickly diluted to levels that may not be detectable.
Here is an example of Ammonia concentrations in rainwater for one given year.
https://www.classzone.com/books/ear...807/es1807page05.cfm?chapter_no=investigation

peter hillman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Rain water, unfortunately, is not the 'pure' water that we would like to believe. Depending on geography, it can contain many different ions and anions of various compounds, Ammonia being one of these.Higher concentrations are usually found in arid and semi-arid areas where more Ammonia is released into the atmosphere. The levels that are usually experienced are not a cause for concern unless one is collecting rainwater for use in pond water changes. The naturally occurring addition of rainwater to a pond by weather systems is small in comparison to the overall capacity (gallons) of a typical pond and is quickly diluted to levels that may not be detectable.
Here is an example of Ammonia concentrations in rainwater for one given year.
https://www.classzone.com/books/ear...807/es1807page05.cfm?chapter_no=investigation
Sooo if we haven't had rain for a few months could it affect ammonia? I realize the rain may have been carried from miles away, we had a downpour just a day before this rainfall but they were pretty isolated cells.. Also in that diagram it shows my region as being low in ammonia, but that was years ago which is why I ask. Maybe '94 was a wetter year than this.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Sooo if we haven't had rain for a few months could it affect ammonia? I realize the rain may have been carried from miles away, we had a downpour just a day before this rainfall but they were pretty isolated cells.. Also in that diagram it shows my region as being low in ammonia, but that was years ago which is why I ask. Maybe '94 was a wetter year than this.
As to the explanation of why the recent high Ammonia level in the rainfall for your area, you may have to do a little research to find the answer to that. My post was just to show that Ammonia in rainwater is a common occurrence. Soil moisture as well as soil pH will greatly impact these levels.

peter hillman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
As to the explanation of why the recent high Ammonia level in the rainfall for your area, you may have to do a little research to find the answer to that. My post was just to show that Ammonia in rainwater is a common occurrence. Soil moisture as well as soil pH will greatly impact these levels.
I appreciate your reply, at least I know now that ammonia is present in rainwater more so than I realized. Next time it rains I'll test again.
One more Q if I may.. Does rainwater always have low PH, and does it have anything to do with the ammonia content. OK 2 Qs.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Rain water pH is typically below 7.0. In industrialized areas, the pH value may be close to 4.0. These lower values, which are caused completely by anthropogenic influences, Hence the term "Acid Rain". This map indicates approximate pH values of rainfall for CONUS.
acid rain 2012.jpg

The pH of rain water has absolutely no bearing on Ammonia content. This is determined solely by the pH of the source soil from which the moisture originated.

peter hillman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Thanks Meyer, this has been quite interesting and educational. Never looked rain this way, I will be testing again next time it rains.

peter hillman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Rain came sooner than I thought. Parameters very similar to last rain. Thanks Meyer for helping me understand more clearly:ROFLMAO:what's in my water.
002.JPG

Ask a Question