New to box filter

Reaction score
Country
United States
As others have mentioned...my new Tetra box filter just wouldn't stay together. My husband put a bungee cord on it. My pump arrived Sat. Very heavy. Added small rocks to box filter to keep it on the bottom. The extreme hot weather has me running a sponge filter box filter and an aquarium waterfall filter. I have had to do water changes every few days. I use the fish water on my garden plants. As of this a.m. the box filter seems to have kicked in and water is a bit cleaner. Will decide if I keep the 100 gallon tub near the garage( outlets there). Or move it to more shade. Or may put a cover of some sort over it. I can't believe how much I've spent or how envolved I've gotten with this. Will be getting more water plants this week.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
1623071686207.png
I'm guessing something similar to this-

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@MaryP Maybe it would helpful if you could post some pictures of your pond as well as the “box filter” you are taking about. I’m having a hard time understanding what is going on here. Not to sound rude, but your post is confusing as you have mentioned several “issues,” yet the title is “new to box filter.”

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
I started out with a 150 gallon preformed pond with a small Tetra fountain filter combo. I don't remember having issues with the filter coming apart but that was 13 years ago. The first couple of months was spent trying to get rid of the pea soup algae so bad i couldn't see the goldfish. The second season it was the same thing until I unintentionally added a plant by putting in a big willow branch so the frogs could get out. That branch spouted roots and branches and like magic, the water was clear. Plants and a bit of shade will keep your pond cooler and control the algae. My second pond is a bit bigger at 25X35 with a stream and waterfall. No filter, just a skimmer with 2 pumps that feeds the waterfall and stream. I have lots of plants that help keep the water clear. Enjoy your pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks. This year is an experiment. I'm used to farm ponds. Trying to strike the right balance is difficult. A work in progress...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Day 4 of changing the filter in the wayerfall filter daily( full of muck)the plants and flat box filter are kicking in. Can see the snails. Goldies are having so much fun. 6-8" now.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The water is clear to the bottom. It is a Tetra flat filter connected to a Tetra submersible pump. Working great.

Attachments

• 20210609_160007.jpg
    20210609_160007.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 20210609_155959.jpg
    20210609_155959.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 47
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A small ponds fluctuate to fast temps can change so fast the fish get shocked by the quick rise , or if containments find the pond the solution through dilution can be done.

Ask a Question