New to community, established pond owner

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I am new to the community but have had a pond for over 15 years. I want to know if it is possible to add a preformed pond liner to my pond. I have had the preformed liner for the last 15 years since that is what I started out with before I installed my current pond. I have had it in storage and have been thinking if there is a way to incorporate it into my current system. I want to use it as a biological filter that will flow into my stream and then pond but this does not have a spillway so I am trying to figure out a way to have the water flow into my stream. I have contemplated cutting a hole into the side of it and attaching a PCV pipe to allow the water to flow out into the stream. I currently have a 10 gallon preformed pond with a spill way that I am using as a small biological filter. I want to know if this is possible to do or if I should move on from the idea and redo my small stream and add more depth and area to add plants for the biological filter. The current pond is about 10 foot in length and about 3 foot across at the widest point and goes from about 1 foot to 3 foot in depth. the stream is about 15 foot long but only about a foot or so across and very shallow. I don't have any issues with my current setup but have the itch to redo the pond now that I have time again.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

I have done that with 3 different preforms and two stock tanks. We took a hole saw, put in one or two, one inch holes in a few,two / two inch holes in another, cut a piece of pvc to slip in the hole. Used a small piece of liner and some pl roofing goop to secure it and seal them to the tanks. I rough up the tank, clean with acetone , make sure it is dry use the goop, let it dry well, turn on the water.

Years later still holding.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
I am considering the exact same thing with a 150 gal preformed which was also my first pond. Bulkhead fittings as a return line would do fine. Hurry up and do yours and post pics so I can get a good idea how to do mine!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

I have done that with 3 different preforms and two stock tanks. We took a hole saw, put in one or two, one inch holes in a few,two / two inch holes in another, cut a piece of pvc to slip in the hole. Used a small piece of liner and some pl roofing goop to secure it and seal them to the tanks. I rough up the tank, clean with acetone , make sure it is dry use the goop, let it dry well, turn on the water.

Years later still holding.
Thanks for the information Addy1. That gives me the information that I was looking for now to get the supplies and time to get this project underway.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Use a bulkhead fitting. Better yet, use two or three of them side by side. Pull the liner up to the pre-form, determine where you want the bulkhead fitting(s), use a hole saw, cut your holes. X-cut the liner, sandwich the liner between the bulkhead fitting and pre-form.

58017_3.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Use a bulkhead fitting. Better yet, use two or three of them side by side. Pull the liner up to the pre-form, determine where you want the bulkhead fitting(s), use a hole saw, cut your holes. X-cut the liner, sandwich the liner between the bulkhead fitting and pre-form.

View attachment 90242

That looks like a sink drain adapter.
Do those work well for a liner bulkhead seal?

Ask a Question