New to forum, but not watergardening

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, from East Texas. My name is Marilyn, and I have been a watergardening enthusiast for well over 50 years. After so many years, it is still my favorite hobby. I have done a little bit of everything over the years. I raised fancy goldfish...orandas mostly and telescopes. I spawned the orandas in aquariums and the telescopes in the greenhouse. I have raised waterlilies and koi in mud bottomed ponds. I have shown goldfish. I have collected waterlilies to the point that at one time I had 200 varieties. Now my interest is mainly in hybridizing waterlilies. I do not consider myself a contender in the commercial world. I do these things only to amuse myself. At one time, I had six mud bottomed ponds and multiple tanks. Now I live where I don't have any ponds, and raise all my fish and waterlilies in above ground tanks. At my age (74) it is just too difficult to get in and out of ponds.

I recently lost my husband, after a prolonged illness, so I am basically starting over. I do have about 40 varieties of waterlilies still. I lost all my koi in the flood following hurricane Harvey, so I have just replaced them, a few at a time, small ones. I love koi, but I don't plan to spawn them again, due to lack of pond space. I still raise common and comet goldfish and shubunkins. I may eventually raise a few orandas or telescopes, but it is harder to find anything other than black moors now. I used to have bluescale, calico, white, gold and albino telescopes. I can find orandas at Petsmart.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1621269740908.gif
@Marilyn_C
Boy you are a Marilyn of all trades in the fishy world and would love to see photo's of all that you have accomplished!
So sorry you recently lost your husband. I hope you will enjoy being a member of our forum.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I can show you waterlilies, but I lost all my pictures in the Harvey flood. Even family photos. The only pictures I had left were some on Facebook. The waterlily in my avatar is one that I hybridized.

Ask a Question