new to forum.... hello all

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by trkyhntr, Jul 30, 2008.

1. trkyhntr

trkyhntr

Hi there
    My wife and I live in Somonauk IL. Our first pond is being built at the end of August. We are both excited and looking forward to having a water garden in our yard.

trkyhntr, Jul 30, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. trkyhntr

pondlady

:banana:welcome to garden pond, lots of luck with the new pond. Hope we can help with any ? you might have. I have been a ponder for 17 years. So I have been there done that,both wrong and right.
    the results.

Attached Files:

pondlady, Jul 31, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. trkyhntr

trkyhntr

I have a question. Will we be able to plant water lilies this fall or would we be better off waiting till spring? Also the contractor gave us some references to go and see his work which we did and were impressed. The pond owner offered to sell us some of his extra koi as he said he had too many. Our pond is supposed to be approx, 2500 gallons. How many fish should we start out with? He told us 10 but I don't know, any response would be greatly appreciated

trkyhntr, Jul 31, 2008
  4. trkyhntr

pondlady

there is a formula that some people go by. I will look it up. The big thing is you filtration system, the better it is the more fish your pond can handle.

pondlady, Jul 31, 2008
  5. trkyhntr

pondlady

:profile:1/2 inch per 10 gals. of water. This is not exact but a good start. the better you system the more load it can handle, the more inches of fish you can keep. longfins are my passion.:icon_smile:

Attached Files:

pondlady, Jul 31, 2008
  6. trkyhntr

DrDave Innovator Moderator

These formulas are for those who don't properly maintain their ponds. they need the margin due to their neglect and poor setup.

My 8 adult Koi and 11 7-8" Koi were just fine for 18 months in 650 gallons before I added a lower pond and doubled the volume. Good filtration and circulation are what is needed, along with monitoring.

Obviously, it is nice to have more, but In 40 years of ponds I have learned to do more with less.

DrDave, Aug 3, 2008
  7. trkyhntr

DrCase Moderator Moderator

hi trkyhntr ,,the pond is getting closer,,,with good filtration,like DrDave said you can have more fish..start slow and enjoy the pond...i grew up in hanover park not to far from you..keep us posted

DrCase, Aug 8, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question