New to Forum, Hello!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone, just signed up for an account after finding a few helpful topics on this forum thanks to Google search.

My name is Kris and I'm brand spanking new to the pond hobby. I've had experience with small aquaria (fresh and saltwater), but recently dipped my toe into pond-ing (is that a word?) when I bought my first house.

The previous owners installed a small 4x4 square garden pond, and it currently has about 2 koi, and several goldfish. Unfortunately, they didn't leave me much information about the pond or fish they added.

I'm still learning about pond maintenance and husbandry, but hope to be able to contribute to threads and pick y'all's brains as I learn.

I live in the Florida panhandle and have limited resources when it comes to pond, koi, or aquatic plants in my area.

Looking forward to learning from you all!

Kris

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1529533337448.jpg
    FB_IMG_1529533337448.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 171

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1578157451394.gif
@Kris
Pretty little pond but about those koi in that small of a pond is not gonna work for long. A few goldfish is fine but those koi need much more room. Do you have a shovel,lol?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

Beautiful pond, but agree with JW you need to find a home for the koi, they grow fast and big. The usual rule of thumb is 1000 gallons for the first koi.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome and your pond and it's setting is charming :) If I were you, to make life easier, I'd look into finding the koi new homes and enjoy the goldfish as you learn about ponding...it is a word ...at least around here ha ha!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Depending on your depth a koi that can grow to 30" will be restricted in a 48" pond i second the goldfish pond.

WELCOME to Ponding

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome Kris! There seems to be a dearth of pond supplies in the panhandle. Without prying, are you anywhere near Fort Walton Beach? If so, Bluewater Zoo is outstanding for help. They are primarily an aquarium (fresh and salt) reptile and planted aquarium shop but they have a wealth of experience and resources. Let me know if that works, if not, PM me.
Again welcome!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I think many of us have come here from having aquariums. In fact, that’s all I’ve got for fish right now, and a big hole I need to get underlining for, them get my bog set up...
always glad to welcome a new member.

Ask a Question