New to forum. No problems, but a murder mystery.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Mmathis, it remains a mystery. We have had a total of 3 tadpole sightings in the last several weeks. They are larger, but still legless. I liked the insect predator theory, but I found neither tads nor predators when I rinsed the pond filter media, so smoking gun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Mmathis, it remains a mystery. We have had a total of 3 tadpole sightings in the last several weeks. They are larger, but still legless. I liked the insect predator theory, but I found neither tads nor predators when I rinsed the pond filter media, so smoking gun.

While winterizing, found the smoking gun. See attached. These guys are taking a long time to mature, so I assume they are bullfrogs. We've had bullfrog visitors occasionally, but never heard any males calling. Our greens made a lot of noise, but the web says greens mature in one season.

Attachments

• IMG_0959.JPG
    IMG_0959.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 269

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
While winterizing, found the smoking gun. See attached. These guys are taking a long time to mature, so I assume they are bullfrogs. We've had bullfrog visitors occasionally, but never heard any males calling. Our greens made a lot of noise, but the web says greens mature in one season.
Aren't those kinda small for Bullfrog tadpoles?
upload_2015-11-3_16-0-47.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Aren't those kinda small for Bullfrog tadpoles?
View attachment 87480
I agree; they look small, and the one pictured is larger than many of the ones we've got.

But we all gotta start somewhere. Assuming these tads are from the one group that I was aware of, they are only 2-3 months old. Below are two more pics; one showing the size range I've got, and the other closer in on one that's typical of my current heavyweights.

But that's my question. Since they are clearly not going to develop in this one season, does that mean they must be bullfrogs. We've got greens, bulls, and leopards, and supposedly only the bulls take more than one season.

Attachments

• IMG_0834.JPG
    IMG_0834.JPG
    382.7 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0833.JPG
    IMG_0833.JPG
    354.4 KB · Views: 249

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
If these hatched late in the season, they will not fully develop until next Spring providing they survive the Winter. Nature is not always fair.
There is only one specie of American Bullfrog (Rana catesbeiana/Lithobates catesbeianus). The photo in post #18 is a photo of the tadpole stage. Neither of the photos that you posted show Bullfrog tadpoles.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I feel ya. And I'm hoping these are NOT bullfrogs. Thanks for the info on overwintering of other species. If that's the case, then these are probably greens.

But please tell me what's diagnostic about my pictures that makes you so sure that these aren't bulls; so far as I can tell from Google images, bull and green tads, at least at this young age, are hard to tell about.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Here's a good comparison. The dorsal is more prominent on the BF, but the mottling v. spots is what convinced me that mine are greens.

Attachments

• FSBull-green%20differences.gif
    FSBull-green%20differences.gif
    130.2 KB · Views: 228

Ask a Question