New to forum

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Looks like a great site with lots of info. This is my 4th year with my 8'x12' watergarden. The first 2 years used lava rock in my bio filter (biofalls) and these worked really well. Not so good the 3rd year. Last year, I tried the Spring coil with bioballs. Still no clear water. This year I picked up some scrubbies from Skippy. I put in Microbe-Lift spring clean up and Microbe-Lift PL. Pond is very green and not a bit clear. Do I rinse my bio filter? It is full of green sludge. Also, I keep reading lots of differing views on aerators. Would installing one help? I appreciate any insights.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
welcome to the sight... an aerator is always beneficial, scoop out the green sludge and run the filter. did you use the pl gel filter innoculant? what size filter do you have? whats the water temp? its probably still too cold for the bacteria to really get working still.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome to the forum....
If you have a bottom drain on your filter, open it, and pour pond water through it to clean the pads....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Watergarden is 1500 gals, filter 25, water temp.48. Will try gel and anything to get it clear. I twice took the class offered by our local watergarden guru and followed everything he taught. Unfortunately that only lasted the first few years. Then I found out the reason their ponds where so clear in the spring-they clean them. They told us to do it in the fall. We were also told never to clean the lava rock we used the first few year. I am guessing our filter is too small. We did experience a population explosion last year of gold fish and frogs. We've thought about koi, but feel we need to get our pond balanced. I really appreciate your help.

Ask a Question