New To Forum

Reaction score
Good morning all! I'm new to the Garden Pond Forum, even though we've had a pond for over three years now. It was in place when we purchased this property in January of 2006. The previous owner built it. The volume is approximately 4000 gallons, with two waterfalls. Filtration is accomplished via a skimmer, thru two media barriers, over a gravel settling box, then through three more media boxes (straw filled frames), to the pumps, to the UV lights, then up and out through the waterfalls. Our pond doesn't resemble a "swimming pool", but has been mostly balanced for three years now. We have several water iris and lily pads growing.

There was (I say was because we had significant die off over the last three days) about 15 koi and assorted goldfish in the pond. On Friday last, we had a small tornado go though here. Knocked down some trees, tore off some shingles, and dumped all kinds of garbage in the pond. Of course the power was off, and I couldn't get the generator to start, or I would've run the pumps. On Saturday morning, we found six casulties. Sunday, five more. Then yesterday, the last four. No signs of trauma. Nothing in the gills. Just DOA. Could have something toxic blown in the water? Did all the green material spike the nitrogen? Any ideas?

We are at a loss to explain this. I was hoping for some direction or opinions from those with more experience. It'll be the weekend before I can start the pond clean out process, so what should I be looking for? Looking forward to hearing from everyone, and being a part of this site. Thanks in advance. Matt.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
welcome aboard Matt, sorry for your loss, sounds like it could of been any number of things... clean it up and start over,and best of luck
Mark

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome to the forum,,When you clean it out maybe you will find a answer for the die off

Reaction score
Thanks for the response everyone. It's so frustrating to lose those guys and not know why. I intend to make every effort to try and figure out what's going on, and start over I guess. We'll keep everyone posted!

Ask a Question