New to forum....

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys I am new to this pond thing lol.. I have always had indoor aquariums ranging from tropical fresh water to reef tanks so I am familiar with the husbandry required to house fish but I have a question for you experienced pond keepers. I have just purchased a new home with a pond already installed the pond is roughly 15 feet long and shaped like a peanut and it is about 10 feet across the previous home owner had it installed and told me it is about 2500 plus gallons. Here is my problem the pond is lined with slate rocks over a liner and it has a surface skimmer and a waterfall setup with filter pads in both the skimmer and waterfall. I have what I believe is mulm all over rocks i drained the pond almost to the bottom and hosed off all the rocks but after filling it is find that it settles on the rocks again. I used an old old pool filter and made a make shift vacuum to read over it and although the water is crystal clear the crap keeps covering the rocks. After doing some research into found that rock is not the way to go with the pond but when clean looks nice and I rather not have to remove it. After cleaning as best I could I put in the micro lift spring and summer bacteria packets and don't know if there is anything else I can do to get rid of the muck on the rocks. Any help would be greatly appreciated. ..

Thank you

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Is it really muck or is it algae? If you have already cleaned the rock it most likely is algae. This is quite beneficial and important to the overall balance of the pond. It helps maintain water quality, dissolved oxygen levels, provides food for fish and other critters, etc. You really want to keep it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and a pond is a pond and all the things that happen in it are natural

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All,

Just joined this forum recently because I'm starting a new pond (KOI) and I'm looking for suggestions, ideas, anything that will help since I'm new to this hobby. I've had aquariums but nothing like this. Thanks and look fwd to the experience. I should add that I'm actually building on top of and existing in ground pond that's 2' deep, I plan to raise it and additional 2' so 4' overall depth, pentagon shaped and average width is 11' across. I'll have a gravity fed settlement tank 55 gallons which will feed a 8'x3' bog and then waterfall back into pond. Here's where I am so far

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    300.8 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to both of you!
Angelo2626 start a thread in the construction area with your thoughts etc that you need for your pond. We can help you.
Hi All,

Just joined this forum recently because I'm starting a new pond (KOI) and I'm looking for suggestions, ideas, anything that will help since I'm new to this hobby. I've had aquariums but nothing like this. Thanks and look fwd to the experience

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol it expanded from a single pond............... I needed something to keep me busy!:);)
I retired early to move east and marry my honey. His fault he bought me a tractor for our first anniversary present!

Ask a Question