New to Frogbit

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I ordered some fairy moss from Ebay and received a free plant. I had hoped it was water lettuce but now that its growing, I see that it is frogbit. I've looked up several sites and am getting conflicting info- full sun only- tolerates shade, floating vs shallow water so it can root. Even things like drying off leaves if they get wet? Really?? I know it is probably invasive, they sent 2 small leaves, smaller than a dime. I now have 17 clumps and spreading. Right now I have it in my 75 gallon lotus pot and am going to move some to my stock tanks and the big plant pond. In southern Maryland and we do get freezing- will this winter over or do I need to bring some in? Any other info greatly appreciated! NOT drying off pond plant leaves!

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I ordered some fairy moss from Ebay and received a free plant. I had hoped it was water lettuce but now that its growing, I see that it is frogbit. I've looked up several sites and am getting conflicting info- full sun only- tolerates shade, floating vs shallow water so it can root. Even things like drying off leaves if they get wet? Really?? I know it is probably invasive, they sent 2 small leaves, smaller than a dime. I now have 17 clumps and spreading. Right now I have it in my 75 gallon lotus pot and am going to move some to my stock tanks and the big plant pond. In southern Maryland and we do get freezing- will this winter over or do I need to bring some in? Any other info greatly appreciated! NOT drying off pond plant leaves!
I got some from a member here last summer, and it did well in a partial shade/ sun environment ( but if it is doing well for you there is probably no need to change anything ) however I did bring it in for winter, and put it in one of my aquariums, it didn’t like that in the least as the fish ate all the roots and the light was much to strong, so if I were to do it again I would do a small sunlight ( window ) pot of them withought any fish or other disturbances.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Going to try it in several locations and see how it does. Would love to have floating plants in the section of pond below my bog but it gets no sun.

Ask a Question