New to Garden Pond Forum

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
sissy said:
welcome rob and that looks good and gosh you have got a lot of healthy looking plants there .We were mostly in your situation here this past winter .I hope next winter is not as bad as last winter .I lost my cold hardy banana this past winter to the cold .I had it protected but I guess not enough .I even lost some of my elephant ears to the extreme cold .

Sissy, not sure how this quote works but I wanted to reply to you. I lived in Springfield and Manassas VA. I had a Bradford Pear tree and Japanese Maples. Two types of trees that don't seem to do well here in FL. Believe it or not I often see Sycamore trees out and about. We have one at our work that loses the leaves in the fall. Makes me think about VA.

Thank you, Rob

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
rebelangel_3733 said:
here in nebraska we take out elephant ears and banana's indoors and they do really well inside

Hello, my plants come back year after year but not until the end of the summer. I have green thumb outside, brown thumb inside. How is it digging in Nebraska? Here in FL, where I live, it is all soft sand. Rob

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Dependin on certain spots where clay is found, pretty much eveywhere in nebr is just good ol fashion dirt.
Soil varies with it's PH in my yard and if it doesn't rain the dirts hard as a rock to dig so watering before planting/pulling weeds helps. Pretty much everything grows here in the spring/summer/fall months, but winter will kill it as we get cold here (sometimes below zero) so anything we want to survive over the winter we bring in.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Alvarero said:
Sissy, not sure how this quote works but I wanted to reply to you. I lived in Springfield and Manassas VA. I had a Bradford Pear tree and Japanese Maples. Two types of trees that don't seem to do well here in FL. Believe it or not I often see Sycamore trees out and about. We have one at our work that loses the leaves in the fall. Makes me think about VA.

Thank you, Rob
I live on the southside of VA and yes it's a pretty state but was raised in NJ and born in PA .I live 15 minutes from NC .I'm surprised japanese maples don't do well down there .I love that you can garden year round the farther south you go ,but it also does not give you much rest from it either .In NJ come October you were putting plants to bed for the winter and down here it can be November and even December before they start to go sleep for the winter .Except for the last 2 winters

Ask a Question