New to garden ponds. Some advice if possible please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to all,
I purchased a Blagdon 1052504 Affinity Octagon pool 2 weeks ago. But I have some concerns. Hence this post.

As the weather is so hot the water level has dropped somewhat (an inch or so) I have added some more via the hose today and will test the PH tomorrow morning. But there is a significant amount of green algae appeared really quickly on the pond lining and some floating around in the water. Yesterday I added a product sold to me in the aquatics shop (Evolution Aqua Pure Pond Bomb) to put in the filter (Inpond 5 in 1 3000 )that slowly releases bacteria and it seems to be slightly better today. But the algae issue is a major concern for me as the pump filter pads seem very green and clogged already.

But after 5 days of being introduced to the pond the fish remain at the bottom of the pond and have not come up to feed still.

Below are the steps I took in setting up.

I set it up and added water from my hose. Waited two days and added some water lilies and a couple of other water plants that sit on the surface in pouches. I then added some Blagdon pond fresh start and waited 2 days days. PH test seemed correct and within the limits.
After 10 days of setting up I added 4 small goldfish to the pond and they have been swimming around at the bottom seemingly happy and content. I have been careful to put a tiny amount of food in the water and remove anything that is left after 20 minutes. I have also done a PH test that appears to be correct. However......I am a little nervous as I am a newbie to outside ponds and I want to do this properly to give the fish and plants a great chance of surviving in the water.

I'd really appreciate some pointes as to what to keep an eye on and indeed if I am doing something wrong. I believe that like anything you start up as a beginner you learn the best from talking with people who know. Hence this post.

I hope you can respond.

Best
Paul

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome! Looks like this might be similar to your setup?

Algae growth on the inside is a normal part of the pond experience. Green water, suspended algae, will be present also when lots of sun unless you have low nutrients (plants using up the filter byproducts) or an UV clarifier.

Small fish especially will be very shy in a new environment even more so if not a lot of places to hide such a plants.

Some more details would also help us understand your set up-specs on your setup such as volume of water, any other equipment with the setup such as UV clarifier, actual size of fish-small could be 1-3". Actual pH measurement since you checked-usually not critical as long as it is within a proper range and relatively stable.

Sounds like you are having the typical new pond events so far. Often takes a while to get everything dialed in.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you JRS. I'll get the info and post later as now in the office. Really appreciate the support here. Paul

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1657552699955.gif
@PAULYNORF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome! Looks like this might be similar to your setup?

Algae growth on the inside is a normal part of the pond experience. Green water, suspended algae, will be present also when lots of sun unless you have low nutrients (plants using up the filter byproducts) or an UV clarifier.

Small fish especially will be very shy in a new environment even more so if not a lot of places to hide such a plants.

Some more details would also help us understand your set up-specs on your setup such as volume of water, any other equipment with the setup such as UV clarifier, actual size of fish-small could be 1-3". Actual pH measurement since you checked-usually not critical as long as it is within a proper range and relatively stable.

Sounds like you are having the typical new pond events so far. Often takes a while to get everything dialed in.
Hi again,
the set up / size is as follows:
  • 60cm (H) x 101cm (W) x 101cm (D) - 400 litre

UV clarifier is built in to the water pump from Blagdon.

4 fish approx 2.5 inches.

I did a full pond test with a strip yesterday (including a test that checks for ammonia build up) and all are within the required range so far which I am very relieved about.

I will keep an eye on the water quality daily for now and make sure all is in order. It is just the algae build up I am concerned about so hopefully that will slow down once the pond gets established.

On a lighter note after 6 days the fish have finally come to the surface with myself and my wife looking in and appear to be used to us now. I am absolutely delighted with my new found interest and look forward to many years of looking after my set up.

Thanks again all.
Paul

Ask a Question