New to having a pond and Tadpoles

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have just moved into a house and there was a pond have been cleaning it up and getting it ready for fish !
We put fish in about a week ago and I was checking it out today and we have tadpoles.. not sure if my pond is ok for frog ? I have mesh over the top of it ? To keep birds and kids out

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
as long as the net isn't in the water or it's netting isn't so small a frog can't get through it but seeing as the frog got in to lay the eggs then i would say they have no issues getting in or out. As far is your pond ok for tad poles they are found in some pretty nasty waters and i would be willing to bet your pond is in better shape then a muddy puddle. As far as food i would worry there either as the algae on the rocks or in the water is all they need. Pictures always help to see any possible concerns

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1577295237452.gif
@Joyy
Love my frogs.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
as long as the net isn't in the water or it's netting isn't so small a frog can't get through it but seeing as the frog got in to lay the eggs then i would say they have no issues getting in or out. As far is your pond ok for tad poles they are found in some pretty nasty waters and i would be willing to bet your pond is in better shape then a muddy puddle. As far as food i would worry there either as the algae on the rocks or in the water is all they need. Pictures always help to see any possible concerns

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Oh good to know !
I was more concerned they couldn’t get out when there frogs but obviously one got in,
I think the condition is fine as there is fish.
ill add some pics.

Attachments

• F83CF6D6-DB09-48C1-B7A4-143379475A3B.jpeg
    F83CF6D6-DB09-48C1-B7A4-143379475A3B.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 141
  • E30F0C43-DE88-46BD-85C5-F53B91C525E6.jpeg
    E30F0C43-DE88-46BD-85C5-F53B91C525E6.jpeg
    160.5 KB · Views: 106

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I hate tp say this because frogs are loved here ,but I get so many that they take over the pond so I remove them and I take them to local farm ponds here that need frogs to help with mosquito control .The farmers love my frog visits .I still have a list of farmers that have called me to bring them frogs this coming year .Who ever thought I would be wanted for frog delivery ;) :p

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ok i see now why you were concerned about the netting, as it is a lot tighter/ smaller then i was picturing , but the bigger concern is once they are in they are not getting out with any ease. your mesh looks like 3/4" at best but it is also up above the water line in a raised pond with what 6 to 8" from the water level ? even if they can climb the epdm? side wall are they then able to climb out ? Frogs need to be able to get there heads up out of the water and sit and warm up on cool days they can get on your lilly pads but i'm afraid once they get in your pond the numbers will not go down to many hurdles to get past to get in and out. But you never know you may have a small type of tree frog that got in there and they could get in an out with ease when they mature to frogs

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Ok i see now why you were concerned about the netting, as it is a lot tighter/ smaller then i was picturing , but the bigger concern is once they are in they are not getting out with any ease. your mesh looks like 3/4" at best but it is also up above the water line in a raised pond with what 6 to 8" from the water level ? even if they can climb the epdm? side wall are they then able to climb out ? Frogs need to be able to get there heads up out of the water and sit and warm up on cool days they can get on your lilly pads but i'm afraid once they get in your pond the numbers will not go down to many hurdles to get past to get in and out. But you never know you may have a small type of tree frog that got in there and they could get in an out with ease when they mature to frogs
I have put some large flat rocks around edge so they can get out of water, I suppose I’ll just keep checking what’s going on and maybe change it if they can’t get out

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I hate tp say this because frogs are loved here ,but I get so many that they take over the pond so I remove them and I take them to local farm ponds here that need frogs to help with mosquito control .The farmers love my frog visits .I still have a list of farmers that have called me to bring them frogs this coming year .Who ever thought I would be wanted for frog delivery ;) :p
Where do you live ? I think that might be me haha

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had a small weave net, once, tossed it when I found small dead birds and trapped frogs. They would get under it and could not get out. Now just use a wide weave net to keep the herons out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had a small weave net, once, tossed it when I found small dead birds and trapped frogs. They would get under it and could not get out. Now just use a wide weave net to keep the herons out.
i'd think you could lift a corner and have a stump log or even a large section of bark to allow as an escape

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Oh yes lifting a corner could work !
I think it might even be baby fish
They were only in the pond a week before I noticed what I thought was a tadpole

Ask a Question