New to outside waterworks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. I’m building my first garden pond - about 2.4m x 1.6m. Performed liner, with a Laguna Clearflo 6000 system. I’m also installing a waterfall filter. I’ve sunk the pond, and now I’m just digging to put in the filter system and the waterfall filter. However, I’m just wondering how deep I go to lay the piping from the pond filter to the pond and the waterfall filter - to try to limit icing in the winter. I’m installing valves to close the waterfall, but I’m conscious of the fact that, at some point, the tubes have to come out to go into the pond. Any advice would be really appreciated!! Thanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

My pipes are exposed, external pump, I take the pump off for the winter, leave the pipes open. I do not try to drain, blow out or anything and they all have survived our winter freezes.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1591973989274.gif
@AndiRich
My tubing from my pump in my pond runs up the inside of pond side to the top edge buried about 8" deep in the dirt under my rocks around the pond edge and to the underneath of my waterfall container where it attaches to it. We don't get very cold weather here but have had very short times of below freezing where the pond water freezes the surface of the pond maybe a half inch or so. Depends on how cold you get for how long. I do allow my waterfall and pump to run all year long.

The tubing runs along the right side of photo below, under all those rocks to the back underside of the rock covered container for waterfall. So the tubing is all covered by dirt.

IMG_8283.JPG

Waterfall is running in below photo keeping a hole in the ice.

IMG_3585.JPG

Ask a Question