New to pond - Need advice on pump and filters

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am digging my 1st pond and should finish in a few weeks. The pond will be roughly 1100 but I totally have no idea what filter and pump are good for a starter. This must have been asked many times. However I spent more than an hour on this forum and did not find the answer. Can someone please recommend a good pump and filter for that size of a pond? It will be great if I can just buy them from Amazon.

Thanks!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I like Laguna Max Flo pumps and I have a 2400 gal pond and I got a 4280 but I took it out of it's cage and hooked it up to my prefilter. Have another pump also hooked up to another Laguna pump that is smaller. Here is what it looks like taken out of the cage:

IMG_9263.JPG

For your pond which is about half the size of mine I would recommend the 2000 or 2400.
I got mine at Webb's online. Here is the 2000: https://webbsonline.com/Item/28244
My pre-filter which is all I use are not as efficient as other filters people on here use but they were cheap and do a pretty good job. Just kind of a hassle to drag up out of the pond to clean. I have a rope tied to them to pull up easier: https://webbsonline.com/Category/Matala-EZ-Bio-Mechanical-Pre-Filter
I tried at first to put two together for better cleaning but it was too heavy to lift out like that so I switched back to using one on one pump and one on another. Here is a photo of mine w/two screwed together to make one big one:

IMG_5385.JPG

I also took the center core out as it plugged up too fast. Perhaps I should just put it back in and just clean it more often. Center core:

IMG_6267.JPG

My set up looks similar to this but mine does not have the box filter, just goes to a canister water fall w/only water in it:

Prefilter diagram.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks much for the advice! This gives me a good idea on where to start.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I use a submersible Tetra 3600 debris handling pump for my 1600 gallon pond. The pump sends the water to a bog for filtration. The bog is my only means of filtration now and my water is crystal clear.

Previous to building the bog this Spring, I tried many homemade and (expensive) store bought filters over several years that were quite frankly inadequate and required constant maintenance. (Rinsing filter pads, etc.)

My water was completely green all last Spring, Summer and Fall, even with two pressure filters and a UV light running 24/7.

Moral of the story: don't waste your money and effort with store bought filters or UV lights that don't work and require lots of maintenance.

If you're planning your pond build, now is the time to plan on filtering with a bog, you won't regret it and the cost is much lower than buying a filtration system.

With a bog, you will have more time to enjoy your pond by not having tons of work cleaning messy filter pads and such every week.

There are many threads here on this subject. addy1 has an extensive showcase on bog building which has inspired a lot of us to go that route. Here is the link:

And my bog build:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah I already saved space for a bog but still plan to use filter i can buy online for probably the first year. The reason is the pond is in the center of our backyard and wife wants to make that bog pretty... so I need to spend a lot of time doing research how to make it looks better.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The reason is the pond is in the center of our backyard and wife wants to make that bog pretty.
Pick your plants with that in mind. Mine all grow tall, tons of flowers but not organized controlled. Things like water willow, rabbit ear iris, pickerel weed stay on the short side. The water willow blooms a lot all summer, lilac flowers. Cardinal flowers and others also stay a bit more controlled then what I have in my bog. Mine is very functional, works great, I don't aim for pretty, do get a great flower display soon.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I am digging my 1st pond and should finish in a few weeks. The pond will be roughly 1100 but I totally have no idea what filter and pump are good for a starter. This must have been asked many times. However I spent more than an hour on this forum and did not find the answer. Can someone please recommend a good pump and filter for that size of a pond? It will be great if I can just buy them from Amazon.

Thanks!
Okay OKay, so everyone posting is being modest with price, if you want a good pump and filter then just look on amazon, they will break ni a year but they are so cheap and easy to replace, however if you are like me, and want something that has a two year warrenty and an estimated lifetime of 15 years, then go to Aquascape, yes they are a company, and they are so amazing they have even created there own tv show, there pumps are extremly overpriced, but they are amazing, most have a remote control, and they are very compatible with biofals, which are jam packed full with amazing filter media, they have every type of pump imaginable, and so before you voerlook this post please go to there website and check them out!

Ask a Question