New to ponds and two pumps have died in three weeks

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi folks,

I recently had a 6x4x3.5deep pond installed in my backyard. Two and a half weeks later the Leader solid answer 6 died. Just stopped working. When pond guy came out Monday he couldn’t turn the interior propeller so we thought it was a lemon. He replaced with the same pump and it lasted only through Friday. I’m freaking out because I have two pond saracha comets. Went to PetSmart yesterday and purchased two 60 gallon aerators with two air stones to help bubble the water. At this point I’m just worried about filtering the water. It’s hot in GA right now and the pond gets hit with direct sunlight mid afternoon for a couple hours. Pond guy won’t be here until Monday afternoon. Has anyone else had issues with this particular pump? And also is there anything I can do for the fish. Will they be okay until Monday or God forbid Tuesday?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    398.7 KB · Views: 115
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi folks,

I recently had a 6x4x3.5deep pond installed in my backyard. Two and a half weeks later the Leader solid answer 6 died. Just stopped working. When pond guy came out Monday he couldn’t turn the interior propeller so we thought it was a lemon. He replaced with the same pump and it lasted only through Friday. I’m freaking out because I have two pond saracha comets. Went to PetSmart yesterday and purchased two 60 gallon aerators with two air stones to help bubble the water. At this point I’m just worried about filtering the water. It’s hot in GA right now and the pond gets hit with direct sunlight mid afternoon for a couple hours. Pond guy won’t be here until Monday afternoon. Has anyone else had issues with this particular pump? And also is there anything I can do for the fish. Will they be okay until Monday or God forbid Tuesday?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Bummer, though. If your pond only gets a few hours of full sunlight, then I would think that you are OK with just the aeration. Moving water will help.

I’m not familiar with that pump (Leader solid answer 6).

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi, I answered to your other post, and since the 2 are identical, I have asked the mods to combine them for you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Bummer, though. If your pond only gets a few hours of full sunlight, then I would think that you are OK with just the aeration. Moving water will help.

I’m not familiar with that pump (Leader solid answer 6).
This is my first pond so I have no idea either but my pond guy has been doing ponds for nearly three decades so I trust him but he did say he’s not going with the Leader next time. I also have an electrician coming out Monday morning to make sure the outside outlet is adequate. I wouldn’t think this pump takes more juice than available but I really don’t know. The GFCI wasn’t tripped and the pond light still works but I would have thought I’d have better luck winning the lottery than have two pumps die in under one month. Ugh, I’ve been worried about the fish but thankfully tested the water Thursday and ammonia, nitrate, and phosphate were all at zero as well as PH balanced.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh thank you. I asked them via the report button to delete one thread. I thought I was changing title not posting new thread. Sorry, I’m a total newbie and my first time attempting to post

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1592081841569.gif
@Mars
Moving water will help keep it cooler if you have an aerator. You could make a temporary shade using a sheet, table umbrella or whatever on posts.

Reaction score
Country
United States
View attachment 130130@Mars
Moving water will help keep it cooler if you have an aerator. You could make a temporary shade using a sheet, table umbrella or whatever on posts.
I did bring out a beach umbrella today but that was an epic fail when the sun was directly over pond but I have been touching the water periodically throughout the day. Doesn’t feel warm. I figured if it starts to warm I can add some ice cubes? I don’t want to add tap water though if I don’t have to. But I do like the idea of adding a sheet. Thank you

Reaction score
Country
United States
I did bring out a beach umbrella today but that was an epic fail when the sun was directly over pond but I have been touching the water periodically throughout the day. Doesn’t feel warm. I figured if it starts to warm I can add some ice cubes? I don’t want to add tap water though if I don’t have to. But I do like the idea of adding a sheet. Thank you
I did also purchase two 60 gallon bubblers from PetSmart and added air stones to each one on opposite sides of the pond. I think the fish like this better than the waterfall to be honest so I’ve asked my pond man to bring a pump that has a flow control valve so that the waterfall isn’t as strong as before.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I see your aerators pond side. Be sure and cover them to protect from weather. Lots of us use flower pots , plastic tubs etc.....just make sure to leave enough space for air circulation.

I should think the combination of aeration and shade will keep them until your pond man returns. You can also trickle in a little fresh water with dechorinator.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you so much. Will do!

I see your aerators pond side. Be sure and cover them to protect from weather. Lots of us use flower pots , plastic tubs etc.....just make sure to leave enough space for air circulation.

I should think the combination of aeration and shade will keep them until your pond man returns. You can also trickle in a little fresh water with dechorinator.

Ask a Question