New to ponds, digging myself in deeper...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Love the ducks and your pond project.I have just expanded my pond will share with you later .
keep us updated loving it .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks all. Couple more pics. Feels like progress. We have the hole done. Built retaining wall and gathered stones here and there. Found a great deal yesterday, filled our truck for $15.

Picking up liner, underlayment and all that tomorrow.

IMG_6002_01.jpg

IMG_6032.jpg

IMG_6035.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I'm wondering, at this point after we have the folds out and everything situated, do we drain it and wait until spring, or try and get it finished and run it during the winter? I know the ducks will use it over the next 5 months if we finish it. Just wondering how much of a headache it will be dealing with over winter if we haven't run a pond before. We have 2 waterfalls, 2 skimmers, an aerator and was planning on getting a deicer. Anyone else finish this late on a first pond and have advice?

Going to x-post to general forums not sure how much people still reading this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
nice pond. I would probably keep going and get as much done as you can before more snow flies. Not sure where you are located but we are in for some possible snow and cold this coming week.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and just remember to look at pumps and aerator for energy efficiency and a good liquid water test kit .Also remember to do more electric outlets than you think you need and put them on a dedicated circuit .I even have mine on switch's inside my house ,my sons idea since he is an electrician .He did not want anything going wrong and have me going out in bad weather and falling down the outside steps .I also added security cameras to be able to see the pond day and night and lights that shine down into the pond .

Reaction score
Country
United States
welcome and just remember to look at pumps and aerator for energy efficiency and a good liquid water test kit .Also remember to do more electric outlets than you think you need and put them on a dedicated circuit .I even have mine on switch's inside my house ,my sons idea since he is an electrician .He did not want anything going wrong and have me going out in bad weather and falling down the outside steps .I also added security cameras to be able to see the pond day and night and lights that shine down into the pond .
Thanks for comments. I'm running 2 20A ckts out there which should be more than enough. I have a camera in the ducks run which will catch it, but will probably install another for a better view. I have lights but probably won't add them until spring. I do have an aerator. Got a good deal on everything since places up here are out of season. About 30% cheaper than lowest prices I found on line.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Believe me 2 will not be enough my son put in 4 and I now have 10 of them ,Lights, aerator and u.v's and pumps and whatever else starts to add up .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Believe me 2 will not be enough my son put in 4 and I now have 10 of them ,Lights, aerator and u.v's and pumps and whatever else starts to add up .
2 outlets or 2 circuits? Because I have 8 outlets. 4 on each circuit. Should be enough. I could add more outlets if I need to. Pumps draw around 3 amps each, added up also for aerator and uv plus lights and rounded up a bit. This is my first time with a pond, so I could have missed something, but 40 amps is a lot of draw. I'd have to put in a bigger main panel if I need more than that.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 3 breakers and all are 20 amp breakers and 10 outlets which 8 of them are on switch's inside my closet in the master bedroom .Well yester day I did add 2 more for landscape lights along that side of the house and pond because a neighbors dog that was up here 2 times in the last couple of days .I did talk to the people because they are new to a rural area and it is a small dog and could get killed by the foxes we have around here .Why people would not think about the dangers in a rural area ,I do not understand .I even worry about the 2 stray cats I have here and give them a hiding place under my side porch that is closed in just for them .But you should be good since you have 8 outlets .I thought you meant 2 outlets

Reaction score
Country
United States
where are you that there are still leaves on the trees ?
Michigan, but my trees always drop late :( I'm usually cleaning up the week of Thanksgiving. Today was our last Yard Waste pickup so anything else that drops I guess we are keeping until Spring.

Ask a Question