New To Ponds. Have a Question About Pumps.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a new pond that I just dug and am getting ready to fill up with water But the only problem is that the pond is too far from the house to run an extension cord so I am wondering if there is such a thing as a battery powered pond pump because when I looked for one I could not find one.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1651364912461.gif
@Cannon Sims
I know there are solar ones so I would think there might be battery ones but I don't know for sure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How far away is it? There really is no distance that is too far for a properly sized cord.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Most of the dc ones seem to be for indoor, is an inverter the best bet if using a battery do you think?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have a new pond that I just dug and am getting ready to fill up with water But the only problem is that the pond is too far from the house to run an extension cord so I am wondering if there is such a thing as a battery powered pond pump because when I looked for one I could not find one.
How big is your pond?
Which should determine how big of a pump you need.

I believe there are solar pumps, but I can't see any such pump being very large.

How far is the pond from the house?

It's not a very good practice to use any type of extension cord outdoors for an extended period.

Reaction score
Country
United States
How big is your pond?
Which should determine how big of a pump you need.

I believe there are solar pumps, but I can't see any such pump being very large.

How far is the pond from the house?

It's not a very good practice to use any type of extension cord outdoors for an extended period.
I have tried 2 different solar panels pumps and both have broken. The Pond is about 12 feet long by 5 feet wide. The pond is about 100 yards away from the house so I could not run an extension cord.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have tried 2 different solar panels pumps and both have broken. The Pond is about 12 feet long by 5 feet wide. The pond is about 100 yards away from the house so I could not run an extension cord.
Oh, 100 yards!
That's pretty far away.
Curious as to why you dug it so far from the house. Most people want their pond within view of the house or at least in view of their immediate back yard.
I guess you had your reasons.

What broke on the pumps?
Were they both the same model? If so, maybe they were not the best quality.

Did the pumps die or was there a problem with the solar panels, batteries or charging system?

Maybe you can research a better quality solar pump.

If it were me, I'd run a conduit underground from the house, but I'm an electrician and know how to do that.
Any chance of highering an electrician?

Any chance of moving the pond before you fill it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What size is the pond and is there any shade? Fish? Might get away with just running a really long airline and doing aeration.

Ask a Question