New to ponds - Help Appreciated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Thanks for reading.
I created my pond at the end of last summer, pictures attached.
Don't know if I got things right so would appreciate any advice, first challenge is I don't know how clear the water should be?
I can see the fish when they are mid water( 1/2 m) but the water is not clear.
Can I tell you about my pond first;
Its a natural, lined pond situated under a willow with a 1 m water all at one end.
The pond measures approx 4.5 x 2.5 x 1 m deep total about 11,000 litres I believe.
I have around 20 mixed fish from 6 inch goldfish to 18 inch carp.
I have a net to keep out leaves and herons although small leaves do get through the net so have just cleared the bottom sludge 10 days ago.
The pump is a Laguna 16,500 l/hr feeding a pressure Jaboa CF 30 12000 lite filter /cv which then forms the waterfall.
I have an air pump and an Oase skimmer.
I also have another 16000 pump which I occasionally operate and that feeds water fall but not via filter just direct pump to waterfall.
Considering getting a 36 w UV clarifier to go between pump and filter to clean up water clarity.
So my questions are please;
How clear can I get my water?
Should I be running both pumps all the time, on and offer just the one pump.
Will an additional clarifier help?
The pumps are right under the waterfall so could they be pulling the same water through, should i rest at far end from waterfall?
The fish appear to congregate at the waterfall or the skimmer, could they beg short of O2?
I have loads to space for equipment,should i look at changing equipment?
Sorry for all the questions but I want to get the best environment for the fish
:D

Thanks
Steve
IMG_1241.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1248.jpg
    IMG_1248.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1247.jpg
    IMG_1247.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 83
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
You are correct. The pump should be on the other side of the pond opposite the filter outlet.

Fish always seem to like any rushing water such as a waterfall. Any water movement is good.

It's probably not a bad idea to add an aerator with an air stone. Or at least make sure you have plenty of surface splashing or movement.

My aerator was $50 on Amazon, It's a Laguna Optima. I've had it for years. Every couple years I have to replace the bellows module for $12.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How clear can I get my water? Crystal clear is not impossible as my pond is 5 and a half feet deep and i can see if a coin is heads or tails at the bottom.

Should I be running both pumps all the time, on and offer just the one pump. That's more of a question your pond can answer more then us.

Will an additional clarifier help? There's probably many ways to clear the water but i would look at bogs. Not only do they do a great job there are by far the best looking to.

The pumps are right under the waterfall so could they be pulling the same water through, should i rest at far end from waterfall? you could have half your water not being filtered at all for a long time .
The fish appear to congregate at the waterfall or the skimmer, could they beg short of O2?
I have loads to space for equipment,should i look at changing equipment? it's possible they could be enjoying the air but i'd bet its more the current that they like

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Guys
Really appreciate the advice.I have moved the pumps to the opposite end to waterfall.
Will now research what a bog is!
cheers
steve

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
its one of two things
one bog is pvc pipe laying at the bottom of a trench with holes or slots cut into the pvc. The pipe is buried under at least a foot of 3/8 inch or 3/4 inch stone , better known as pea stone. The water is pumped through the pvc it dumps into the bog where plants are waiting to on top and they are ct or ny

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
its one of two things
one bog is pvc pipe laying at the bottom of a trench with holes or slots cut into the pvc. The pipe is buried under at least a foot of 3/8 inch or 3/4 inch stone , better known as pea stone. The water is pumped through the pvc it dumps into the bog where plants are waiting to on top and they are ct or ny
OOPS I FELL ASLEEP.....
its one of two things
one bog is pvc pipe laying at the bottom of a trench with holes or slots cut into the pvc. The pipe is buried under at least a foot of 3/8 inch or 3/4 inch stone , better known as pea stone. The water is pumped through the pvc it dumps into the bottom of the bog. The water is forced up through the rock and thats where plants are waiting on top and they suck up nutrients from phosphates, nitrates, iron, etc etc and the results are crystal clear waters .

The other is similar but a little more complex but still simplistic . instead of the pvc pipe this has a 12:" or about central pipe that is connected to a vertical similar pipe where the water is pumped to the opposite end and there the water is pushed in it loses current but is under pressure. The water then travels through Mellon sized rock and gradually decreases There are then aquablocks placed on a flat plain " similar to a milk crate that has no opening. the water enters that area and settles . it's like a glass with dirty water and if it is left there long enough the dirt will fall to the bottom of the glass and you have clear water that keeps traveling up through the gravel. first through baseball sized rock to then 3/4" rock where i mixed with 3/8" pea stone the end result is water at a 6 foot depth where you can tell if a coin is facing up heads or tails.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Here is a long thread about bogs! I filter with only a bog love it, the pond is so easy to care for.

Welcome to our forum!

Ask a Question