new to ponds. Just building a serene place to relax.

Reaction score
Question. What don't I know and where did I screw up?

I built a couple ponds in the past with limited success but a good learning experience. I've done some homework before starting the new pond project which is 15 ft long and about 4 ft wide and 16" to 24 " deep. I figure it is about 500 gallons. The sides slope at about 45 degrees so it won't cave in like the last one in a heavy rain. I used a 45 mil rubber liner this time based on past experience. It is 1/2 shade and 1/2 sun for about 6 hours per day, then all shade from nearby and overhanging trees. Plan to have some fish. Nothing fancy. Just some gold fish to feed with the grand children. The grandchildren and I will be buying some starter goldfish later this week once the water is ready. (I'm sure they will name each of them.) There are a couple large rocky spots created where fish can hide and the entire yard is walled. (California neighborhood)

For me- I plan to leave my cell phone in the house and relax while feeding the fish each evening after work. Its a serene little spot I created for this purpose.

I'm pretty busy, and sort of lazy, so I want very low maintenance. The lowest possible maintenance.

In hope of accomplishing that goal...

I installed an in-wall pool skimmer with a basket to get rid of surface leaves etc. before they sink.
a pump which I expect to run 24/7. Should turn the water every hour or so. Maybe overkill?
Then a sand filter to catch most dirt etc with an easy backwash system for cleaning. This should trap most of the dirt I think.
then a 12 watt UV to kill algae and a bio filter. Which I hope will benefit from the sand prefilter.
then back to the pond via a waterfalls with about a 16" drop which I hope will provide enough aeration to keep it all healthy.

What don't I know?
What did I miss?
Is this the best order for water flow for the best results?
Am I overlooking something?

Any help is appreciated.

Don

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I have long felt that having a pond is something that should be done during retirement. Not for relaxation but because you can devote a lot of time to it. So I guess it all depends on your definition of the term "relax".

You're going to be getting a lot of different answers but my recommendation is the less living organisms in the pond the less maintenance (that includes plants because plants create waste too). And the less fish in the pond the less maintenance.

I dispensed with my skimmer because I found that it needed a strong current to be effective and the strong current swept a lot of fish in. And also the presence of a lot of plants interfered with the flow of water into the skimmer.

I've seen a vid of a 55g sand/rock filter that appeared to be very easy to clean. It had an air hose at the bottom and every so often he would switch off the water and turn on the air. The air bubbles would flush all the dirt to the top where he had an exit valve to drain away all the dirt.

At 500g, you won't be able to keep a lot of fish in it but it will be easy to take care of.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Don,
welcome - ponds are great for relaxing. My wife was not at all enthusiastic about having a pond, but humoured me. Now, she's keen to feed them every evening when I get home from work, and can't stay away from it.

Post a few photos so we can see it.

Chris

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and a little deeper would have been better for the fish .But guessing it must be working :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Don
I think you've got it pretty much right. I agree deeper would have been better as cooler water down there for the fish in hot temps but if you have shade maybe that will be fine.

Reaction score
I have long felt that having a pond is something that should be done during retirement. Not for relaxation but because you can devote a lot of time to it. So I guess it all depends on your definition of the term "relax".

You're going to be getting a lot of different answers but my recommendation is the less living organisms in the pond the less maintenance (that includes plants because plants create waste too). And the less fish in the pond the less maintenance.

I dispensed with my skimmer because I found that it needed a strong current to be effective and the strong current swept a lot of fish in. And also the presence of a lot of plants interfered with the flow of water into the skimmer.

I've seen a vid of a 55g sand/rock filter that appeared to be very easy to clean. It had an air hose at the bottom and every so often he would switch off the water and turn on the air. The air bubbles would flush all the dirt to the top where he had an exit valve to drain away all the dirt.

At 500g, you won't be able to keep a lot of fish in it but it will be easy to take care of.

Thank for the input. Only need a few fish for the grandkids and maybe a lilly pad or two for shade. The sand filter has a backwash feature that will water the garden plants with the pond waste.

Ask a Question