New to Ponds ... Just wanted to introduce/share

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi Folks,

First, I'm so glad to see so many pond enthusiasts here.

About four years ago, my wife and I purchased a house with a pool and a hot tub. I've never been a hot tub person so I've never used it. Over the past winter, our above ground hot tub blew it's 220v breaker and the tub froze over. Needless to say, the plumbing froze and burst as well. The hot tub was above 19yrs old so I wasn't overly upset nor was my wife. So here we are, an old broken hot tub that we never used, just sitting there to be discarded as we decided it wasn't worth getting fixed. Then got an idea! Could I convert/change this old useless hot tub into a water garden (pond)? ... maybe with fish! I proposed my idea to my wife who didn't quite turn down the idea but had the "OMG ... here we go" look expression. She just asked a couple questions. First question, will the water garden have fish. My answer was ... um ... no ... not yet anyways (I lied ... lol). Second question, what colour is the pond going to be? I was like ... um ... what do you mean? She was concerned the pond was going to have the "Spa" colour (the same colour of the hot tub shell), which was a bright aqua bluish green colour, which would have made the water garden look amateurish, which was her main concern. I was able to convince her the new water garden would be a good thing!

So here we are, three weeks later, at the tail end of the hot tub/water garden project, it's almost done! All I need to do now is trim the pond liner from the water garden (pond).

Before ...
https://tinyurl.com/yd2zwgb3

After ... (near completion)
https://tinyurl.com/yajcwllc

Unfortunately, I was unable upload the video clips directly so I hope this is acceptable.

I'll update this thread once I trim the pond liner away from the water garden (pond).

Thanks,

Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! A lot of people use youtube to up load videos.

Your pond looks really nice

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
sgreeting_welcome_sign_general_100-109.gif

I agree with Addy. Your converted hot tube pond looks good! Welcome aboard!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2017-7-17_9-31-1.gif
@Netfrog
I wasn't able to view the before but your after video came through just fine and I love how it turned out! Have you snuck the fish in yet :smuggrin:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Well that turned out nice didn't it! Looks great, well done!
Maybe you have already given this some consideration, but....you might like to try and cover the liner at the front edge, where you have a shelf just under the waterline. The liner can degrade over time when left exposed to the sun continually. Maybe use some thin slate like rocks, alternated with a few shallow water marginals in aquatic baskets....just a thought :)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Welcome to our group! A lot of people use youtube to up load videos.

Your pond looks really nice
Thanks Addy! When I get home, I'll upload the videos to YouTube to make it easier to view. Thanks for the suggestion!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
View attachment 102133@Netfrog
I wasn't able to view the before but your after video came through just fine and I love how it turned out! Have you snuck the fish in yet :smuggrin:
I've adjusted the permissions on the before video ... opps .. yeah ... there's three small sarasa comets in there right now. Fun and relaxing to watch! My wife likes them ... ;)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Well that turned out nice didn't it! Looks great, well done!
Maybe you have already given this some consideration, but....you might like to try and cover the liner at the front edge, where you have a shelf just under the waterline. The liner can degrade over time when left exposed to the sun continually. Maybe use some thin slate like rocks, alternated with a few shallow water marginals in aquatic baskets....just a thought :)

Hmmm ... I never considered this. That liner on the front edge does get full sun. Unfortunately, it semi slopes inwards towards the pond. I'll have to come up with something. Thanks for the input!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
You're welcome! How about a wooden batten or better still a black plastic tube which wouldn't rot, fastened to your edging (somehow!) to sit along the pond side of the ledge? Rocks, baskets etc then wouldn't slide in and flat rocks could overhang it just enough to disguise it. It wouldn't have to be big bore pipe.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You did an excellent job! What a great use for something that would have otherwise ended up as trash! And I'll second that advice to cover your liner. A variety of solutions may be best - some rock, some plants, maybe even some driftwood pieces along the edge. Take a look at @callingcolleen1 's videos - her ponds are all beautifully landscaped with all kinds of interesting things!

Ask a Question