New to Ponds! Need heater advice, please :)

Reaction score
Hello!

I just joined this site. I couldn't find good answers for my question elsewhere. I just put in a 125g preformed high-density polyethylene pond for my single red eared slider. There are no other living critters in there.

I live in FLORIDA but still we get cold down here enough to make it uncomfortable for my turtle. Right now our temps are actually dropping to the 60s at night and I know my turtle prefers it in the 70s, as I have read. At the moment, she probably doesn't need it turned on during the day as it is still very hot and sunny but during the night I am worried about the drop in temps and also need to get something for a couple months from now when it does get cold. If you don't live in Florida or never have, it still gets cold enough for frost to spread over our yard and have to scrap our windshields sometimes. So, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what kind of heater I should get since I don't live in a cold snow state and don't want to over power the pond and go over 75 degrees. So, a lower wattage would be best as long as it works for a 125g.

I was looking on amazon but there's just so many and I fear the ones I have looked at are too powerful and will bake my turtle! Don't want that happening :) If you have specific brands/links you can give that would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks so much and I look forward to being a regular member on this lovely forum!

-Sara

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Welcome to the Garden Pond Forum!!! :blueflower:

Sounds like you need something that is thermostatically controlled. There are heaters for 125 gallon aquariums, although I'm not certain how you would attach it to your preform. I would check in that direction, that way you can set it to a specific temperature that you want don't want it to go below, and leave it plugged in during cool evenings and colder weather in the winter. Maybe you could rig up something in the pond to attach an aquarium heater to. Most floating heaters are also thermostatically controlled, too, but won't turn on until the water gets closer to 35 degrees. Good luck!

Ask a Question