New to ponds - Need Pump

Reaction score
I'm new to the pond world. I've been trying to revive a pond that was put in by the previous owner of the house. I built my own filter (may need to redesign it) and just have a cheap sump pump to run it.

Right now, I am looking to get a more efficient pump for the pond. I think the pond is around 450-500 gallons (roughly 5ft x 6ft x 2ft deep). I have no idea what to get or what to look for. I'm looking for a little advice and someone to point me in the right direction.

Reaction score
Any of the Laguna Maxflo pumps are great, just pick the size you need. Turn over rate of 2X per hour after subtracting head pressure loss. Ebay is a good source for bargins.

Reaction score
Thank you. Thats what I was looking at. So if the pond is around 450 gallons and the filter is about 1.5 feet above the surface, would a maxflo 900 be the pump I want?

Reaction score
I would say the 900, however I usually end up wishing I had gone one size bigger. Your call but maybe someone else that has a setup similar to yours will chime in. I use 2 Laguna Max-flos, a 2900 for my skimmer and a 4200 for the bottom in a 2500 gal pond.

Model Description, Max Flow, Max Head
Watts

PT-340 Max-Flo 600 600 GPH 5'
32 watts

PT-342 Max-Flo 900 900 GPH 6' 4"
65 watts

PT-344 Max-Flo 1500 1500 GPH 13' 5"
100 watts

PT-346 Max-Flo 2000 2000 GPH 12' 2"
100 watts

PT-348 Max-Flo 2400 2400 GPH 12' 2"
100 watts

PT-350 Max-Flo 2900 2900 GPH 14' 9"
130 watts

PT-352 Max-Flo 4200 4200 GPH 14' 9"
160 watts

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome jayjeep and my pump I got from harbor freight cost me 22 dollars for 1268 gph and has been working great and I have other pumps from them also so it depends on how much you want to spend .I still have my 1st pump from them over 6 years old and still works great .They say it is a fountain pump and it can go in the pond or outside the pond.For the price I could not go wrong and all the parts came with it including a foaming fountain head no complaints and the price was right for my budget

Attachments

• pond pump 002.jpg
    pond pump 002.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 288

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
sissy said:
welcome jayjeep and my pump I got from harbor freight cost me 22 dollars for 1268 gph and has been working great and I have other pumps from them also so it depends on how much you want to spend .I still have my 1st pump from them over 6 years old and still works great .They say it is a fountain pump and it can go in the pond or outside the pond.For the price I could not go wrong and all the parts came with it including a foaming fountain head no complaints and the price was right for my budget

What is the Item # on this pump?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I got it clearnaced out 47137 and that green one that looks like a turtle they have at the Danville store except it is black ,it has a swivel head too

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
They used to have a lot more pumps. I have had a lot of success with them, no failures in 5 years. I wonder why they are cutting back?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had e-mailed them about that and there comment was supply and demand .But they could be adding more as there have been a lot more request for them lately .I know our Danville store here carries 7 different kinds up to 5400 gph waterfall pump and they are carrying a few more items for ponds here

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have had the best luck with them and the warranty only cost 5 dollars .I had 1 burn out, my fault it got knocked over by 1 of my fish and the fountain head squirted the water out of the pond .Glad I had it up high enough ,but they replaced it no questions asked .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
remember my luck was supposed to change well no luck here .I put a bowl soup in the microwave and dogs wanted to go out and I decided to walk out on the deck and wait for them .I came back in to flames shooting out of the microwave and it took 2 fire extinguishers to put it out and then have to air the house out .Smells like burned plastic in here .The smoke alarms were going off .GE appliances are the worst on the market and this is the second one .They replaced the other one because it was defective .Built in microwaves not worth it any more .Darn thing may have ruined my new glass back splash too .Some of them look broke and grout is black .Darn it the inside of 2 kitchen cabinets and the top shelf above the thing also .What next .1 bowl of soup ruined

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sissy I just can't believe it. I'm so sorry for you again. I think you are going to have to have some prayers tonight.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Called my insurance agent this morning and he told me to e-mail him pics as it is covered .Have to go out and get new microwave and have to call the custom kitchen cabinet guy to have him come and look at cabinets .I'm glad the guy only has his shop a couple of miles from my home and not sure what I'm going to do about the glass back splash ,but sure lucky I kept the extra box of tiles when I did the back splash .Hope my luck gets better soon .or sooner

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Thank God you had the presence of mind to not only have 2 fire extinguishers but to use them as well.
I worry all the time because my wife puts stuff on the stove and leaves the room with the burner on high. Sitting at the computer in the room next door, I often hear a problem and have to go turn it off or down.
At least you and your dogs are safe.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Lucky you are nearby when that happens .I was lucky I was nearby also ,because when I turned it off it would not go off .The vent from it is right off the deck and I could smell it outside .I had my kicthen fire extinquisher and the extra one my son gave me .Thank you for your concern

Ask a Question