New to ponds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Built this last year using a old jucuzzi tub. Sealed off the drains and overflows. Have a couple water plants and lillies in there. Not sure what to use as a bottom? Also last year I had three filters and a uv filter going but had issues with alge. Over the winter it seems to have settled a bit but if I stir the water it goes murky. I have three rock bass and a large minnow in there along with a overwintering frog. I am unsure how to proceed now as I'm afraid to disturb the frog and am curious on why the rock bass are acting protective of the rocks off to the side. Always seems to be one on lookout. The frog is also in the top of the rocks. Sorry for the long post just don't want to kill anything considering they made it through winter. Also noticed yesterday that there was these fish like things eating the alge near the rocks.. The size of a hair

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-4-23_18-35-33.gif
@Shelbygt660

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
welcome to our group!

I fight algae with plants. Also don't feed your fish much. The tiny hair like things, are they baby fish?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
welcome to the forum!
I agree with @addy1 more plants = less algae :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Also my pond plants are shooting roots everywhere on the bear bottom. I've been told to put gravel as a bottom? Instead of the white tub bottom

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Also my pond plants are shooting roots everywhere on the bear bottom. I've been told to put gravel as a bottom? Instead of the white tub bottom
Well, eventually you’re going to get a type of algae called “blanket algae” [or at least, that’s what I call it]. That’s the kind that grows on the pond surfaces, like the rocks. This algae is good to have and is healthy for the pond. Once it takes over, you probably won’t be able to see the white tub bottom any more. And there are different schools of thought regarding bottom substrates, so I won’t go there, LOL! So, is your problem with the floating, pea-soup algae or the kind that grows on stuff?

I don’t think I caught the size of your hot-tub pond. Do you know how many gallons it holds and/or what the dimensions are (width, length, depth)? Also, where are the rocks that you have? Just curious since you were asking about a “pond bottom,” and I was assuming that the rocks were sitting on the bottom. Is this the type of “Jacuzzi” that has seats or levels?

And in case no one else has said this, please post some pictures for us! We LOVE seeing what others’ ponds look like! We are always getting cool ideas from each other!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I've posted pictures above. It's just a standard jucuzzi bathtub. I think the angle has started to take over. I was looking at pumps and filters on amazon. Any ideas or recommendations?

Ask a Question