New to Ponds

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a small manufactured pond with a Pondmaster 250 pump. When I connect power the pump will not turn on, like its not getting power. I have tested the electrical outlet and it is operating correctly. The pump is not humming, its just dead.
What could the cause be? Any help is appreciated.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
hello and welcome!

How long have you had the pump and has it run OK previously? You might want to go to their website and see if there is a trouble-shooting guide. Is it plugged into a GFCI? Try it on a different circuit.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1615752679830.gif
@garciawr
Could it be plugged up w/gunk. Mine used to do that and I cleaned out the propeller area and then it worked again. After awhile it stopped working and not because it was plugged. I had to bang it up against a rock to get it to start. Then it died after a longer while and I had to replace it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
hello and welcome!

How long have you had the pump and has it run OK previously? You might want to go to their website and see if there is a trouble-shooting guide. Is it plugged into a GFCI? Try it on a different circuit.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks, I've had it for about a year and half, I don't run all the time only when I sitting in the backyard. The last time I used it, it worked fine. I went to their website but there is nothing regarding this issue. I was hoping there was a reset button somewhere.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
you should always keep the pump submerged, once you begin using it (including when it's off/overwintered), so any seals don't dry out. Too, once dry, rust, debris etc can seize parts of the motor and cause the impeller to break the next time you power it up. A friend of mine did this once--motor was fine (humming) but no water was pushed. If you turn it on and it hums but no water, suspect impeller break. If you power it on and there's nothing, I'd suspect electrical failure and you'll need a new one. If your unit has a thermo cut off, it should reset and save your pump. See if this is a trait of your pump in particular by checking the manual/web site. Generally, if the impeller is blocked, you'll burn the motor up fast.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Other then a new plug end. or just removing the screen to the impeller to see it a string or a vine has wrapped around the impeller , then going inside the housing is NOT recommended. You then have broken the manufacturers seal and probably any warranty though irrelevant but most importantly if you do not know what your doing and have the training you are talking water and electricity is it worth it for a couple hundred bucks ?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Don't know how much one like that costs moneywise, but try to clean it up, if that doesn't work, then probably time to move on to a new one.

Ask a Question