New to Ponds

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Is this an "I might buy this" post? Or an "I own this and need help" post? If it's the latter, I would suggest just buy yourself some liner - these preforms require the same amount of digging, but they are extremely finicky about leveling and support and over time they will sink, get out of level and subsequently crack.

A piece of 45 mil EPDM will conform to any hole you dig without complaint. Much easier, allows for much more creativity and works every bit as well as a plastic tub in the ground. I think people buy these preforms thinking it's the easier way to go. I think they're MUCH harder to work with.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think about buying it right now. Im just doing my home work early. Thank You for you help.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh good! Then skip the preform. Decide how much pond you want and get yourself some liner... you'll thank me later!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Oh good! Then skip the preform. Decide how much pond you want and get yourself some liner... you'll thank me later!
you forgot to add; '...get yourself some liner (and then double it!)...'

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yup, the most popular pond upgrade would be enlarging what you already have.

Try to build as large as you can and skip the too small of a pond that got quickly overpopulated step that most of us experienced.
I started with 2500 gallons, which isn't really that small, but my expansion that nearly tripled capacity, was more than nice! That's why doubling what you think you want works so well!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Or make 2 ponds. Then I can do a koi and a native pond. Then get some turtles that can pic what pond they want to do to.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I live in Montana. So I dont know what would work and dont work.

Are people in Montana not real smart? Haha! Just kidding. We get a little nutty here sometimes.

What do you mean by "what would work or don't work"? Are you referring to fish, liner, pond size...?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I mean doing the winner in Montana. So I dont know what fish can be keep out all year round. Would the pond freeze up. Some toll me that the pond would have to be 5 feet deep or deeper. Could crayfish broke the pond liner? Could I keep any turtles all year round? Thank You

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
OK - here's the short story. Here in the Chicagoland winters, we have many many ponds that are 24 inches deep. The ponds ice over, yes, but they don't freeze to the bottom. (These are in-ground ponds, not above ground.) Koi and goldfish live in them year round with no issue. The secret is to keep the gas exchange going, either by keeping a hole in the ice with a de-icer or other such device or keeping the falls running. If you don't provide for the gas exchange, the fish will suffocate under the ice. Again - that's koi or goldfish. No clue on how native fish would adapt.

Crayfish wouldn't stand a chance against 45 mil EPDM. That stuff is tough. Will they stay in your pond? That's another story. Same issue with turtles...

You CAN keep turtles, but you have to understand that they won't just stay put. You'd have to build your pond with a design that would contain them. Are we talking aquatic or land turtles? Each have specific needs. People do keep them, but it takes knowledge of their habits and building the pond to both accommodate and keep them corralled. @Mmathis can tell you a bit more about keeping turtles contained!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Same story - you can put them in, but that doesn't mean they'll stay. But build you a pond and I guarantee any frogs in the vicinity WILL find you. But they will come and go on their own schedule, requiring nothing from you but what you've already provided.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Im think about doing above ground pond to get started. Then when I do a bigger pond. I will use the above as a grow up pond. Thank You for all your help

Ask a Question