new to the forum with a couple questions.

Reaction score
Hello everyone, glad i found this forum. I am sort of new to garden ponds, this is my second year but now I am addicted. I started with a pond around 150 gallons. I have plenty of plants growing around it and some gold fish and 2 koi. I attached a picture but its old, i have now got into pond plants that are doing great in it and i also took out the fake frog. It looks a lot more "natural" now. My question is this.... I would LOVE to have frogs in my pond. I know the dangers of taking frogs from elsewhere and putting them in my pond so i wont do that, i want them to come naturally. BUT... I live in an area that does not have much wildlife within miles (besides lake erie thats a 15 minute walk away)... i live in an actual neighborhood with a hospital almost next door haha. Will these frogs still find me? What i have recently done (after doing some research) is made another pond using liner... a bit smaller... just to attract frogs. No filter or moving water... i want easy access them for them to get in and out and i will use plenty of plants. But am i wasting my time for the area I live? I am in Sandusky Ohio (home of cedar point haha). I appreciate everyones help... i also attached a picture of my yard so you could have an idea of the surroundings. I have a mini pond just for decoration and little water fall to the right (in the yard pic), to the left you can see rocks of the koi pond. the Frog pond is waay in the back and you cant really see it in the picture. Again...thanks for everyones help.

Attachments

• pond 1.jpg
    pond 1.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 335
  • yard.jpg
    yard.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 298
Reaction score
I personally would not hesitate to catch some frogs locally and throw them in there. One thing you may want to look into is the amount of fish in your pond. Koi can grow to 3 feet long so at some point, you will have space and water quality issues. Welcome to the forum.

Reaction score
Have you looked into purchasing tadpoles? Our local fish hatchery sell them.

Welcome to our forum!
I have actually. One place can order them at 2.99 and Pet Supplies plus said they get them in with feeder fish in the spring. Do you guys believe it will be slim chance that the frogs will just find my pond and show up? Curious to know if anyone else has had luck this way in the type of area i live.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
At one time, I had nine frogs and all of them found their way into my pond. Sadly, all nine have found their way away from my pond. Mother Nature does a good job.....I think some will find their way to your pond:)

Reaction score
here is a updated picture of my pond. water is pretty stirred up due to a major down pour. The one that i am working on specifically just for frogs is still in process. Im worried my fish or the filter will destroy any tadpoles in this one in the picture. But who knows... they say patience is key.... but im not very patient haha.

Attachments

• pond2.jpg
    pond2.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 299
Reaction score
It took two years for frogs to find and stay at my pond..... They will find it, as you said patience :)
Do you hear frogs at night at all? I mean in the neighborhood? Frogs are everywhere ditches, runoffs you'd be surprised where you could find a frog

Reaction score
It took two years for frogs to find and stay at my pond..... They will find it, as you said patience :)
Do you hear frogs at night at all? I mean in the neighborhood? Frogs are everywhere ditches, runoffs you'd be surprised where you could find a frog
I live in a very residential neighborhood... with a hospital next door. So to be honest.... not at all haha. I would like to think my backyard is the most peaceful spot in the neighborhood :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I agree - they will find you. And even if you did catch a few and move them to your pond, there's no guarantee they will stay. Two years ago we had two big bullfrogs, last year we had five, this year we have none. Now we have a group of small frogs that hang out with us... until they are ready to leave!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and frogs will find you soon enough and then you will be thinking did I really want frogs .Koi get very big so you may need a bigger pond sooner than you think .My first was 300 gallons and a year later went bigger to 2000 gallons 3 years later 3000 gallons and now this past spring 4000 gallons .I guess you see how it goes .Pond addiction is hard to break the habit

Reaction score
thank you everyone for your responses. From the sounds of things I better keep an eye on the Koi. I did have plans to do a little canal into another liner pond and building a little wooden bridge or something but that wouldnt be until next year or so. I ALMOST took in 3 koi. Good thing i didnt. So I guess my plan is to just sit tight and begin plans for a bigger pond haha. Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Your yard, by the way, is lovely! Although you describe it as residential, I will guarantee you there are frogs. Frogs are everywhere!

Reaction score
Here is my other "Mini" pond that is relatively new. Mainly just for decoration. I dont believe this will attract anything because the fountain is pretty loud. Along with my gnomes......haha (my other obsession)

Attachments

• minipond.jpg
    minipond.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 311

Ask a Question