New to the forum

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
I'm new to the forum, but not new to ponds.
I had a pond, that I dug by hand, when I lived in MA. It was a 1200 gal oval with two levels. Stocked with shibunkin.
I avoided koi due to the size they grow to.
Now in CT, I just had a pond built for me. (I'm getting too old to move that much earth.)
The new pond is about 1500 gal and about 36 inches deep, stone lined and with an external liner. There is a low stone waterfall, with an 1100gph pump providing circulation.
The pond is situated at the edge of woods with open sky to the north. I would describe the lighting as bright shade. I realize that is not an ideal situation, but when you are surrounded by woods you make do with what light you can get.
I am still fiddling with water chemistry, but already a local frog has taken up residence.
I look forward to many interesting discussions on this forum.
Harvey

Attachments

• IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    295.4 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    226 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our friendly group of ponding fanatics!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys, building a pond.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    232 KB · Views: 186
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    243.4 KB · Views: 199
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    250.6 KB · Views: 164
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In this area, building a block wall & finishing with a brick on edge trim all the way around

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi,
I'm new to the forum, but not new to ponds.
I had a pond, that I dug by hand, when I lived in MA. It was a 1200 gal oval with two levels. Stocked with shibunkin.
I avoided koi due to the size they grow to.
Now in CT, I just had a pond built for me. (I'm getting too old to move that much earth.)
The new pond is about 1500 gal and about 36 inches deep, stone lined and with an external liner. There is a low stone waterfall, with an 1100gph pump providing circulation.
The pond is situated at the edge of woods with open sky to the north. I would describe the lighting as bright shade. I realize that is not an ideal situation, but when you are surrounded by woods you make do with what light you can get.
I am still fiddling with water chemistry, but already a local frog has taken up residence.
I look forward to many interesting discussions on this forum.
Harvey

Welcome! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Harvey. Welcome aboard! There are quite a few of us here that have watergardens with goldfish and no Koi, I have a 700 gallon pond with around 50 goldfish most of which were born in my pond.

Ask a Question