New to the fourm

Jon Nannen

Pond Newbster
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

My name is Jon. I live in Lincoln, NE (Ideal for a pond with our harsh winters, right?) I bought a house awhile ago, inherited a 1500~ gallon pond. There were a lot of comets/fantails in it already, and I added 9 koi to the mix. Recently lost one, not sure as to why, but sad news aside, I'm here to help people if I can, and get help, as I am a newbie.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and could be a lack of oxygen and do you test your water because ammonia can cause it also .Koi produce a lot of waste .

Jon Nannen

Pond Newbster
Reaction score
He was one of the bigger fish, yes. He began acting strange, secluding himself from the other fish as well as not eating. Shortly after he died, my half white/half tiger Koi began acting funny and doing the same, but is now eating and swimming with the rest of the fish, so hopefully he's feeling better.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
The reason I ask if he was big, because the biggest fish need the most oxygen, and they die off first if the oxygen is low... You will need to get more oxygen into the pond. Be careful that not to cover the whole pond with floating plants either, as they can smother the big fish too!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi Jon, and welcome!

You may be over-stocked which leads to water quality issues which leads to health issues.......

There are formulas for how many fish [goldfish & koi] it's safe to keep in any given size pond [I'll add that if I can find the site real quick], but they are just guidelines as there are many variables [such as how much filtration you have].

http://www.your-garden-ponds-center.com/fish-load-calculator.html

Goldfish & koi produce a lot of ammonia, and koi grow very fast [not to mention all the babies that add to the population].

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome! A1500 gallon pond is not a good home for koi without all the other fish 3 koi at the most.

Ask a Question