New to the group and to ponds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Good Day to All!

I came across this forum in my google search for info on ponds for beginners. My husband and I recently built a new home on 2.5 acres and have a lot of water management to consider. We are not far from a lake...can see it but we are not lake front property. When they began excavating in the beginning of the build process, they found that there is a lot of water in the ground, so we had to actually build above grade by 4 feet or our basement would be submerged in soaking wet soil. We also installed two sump pumps to keep the water out because the basement is finished. We need somewhere to go with all the water that is continually being pumped out along with runoff when we have rain and melting snow in the Spring. Since the underground is so wet we both agreed it would be easiest to find a way to work with the water. We decided digging a pond would be the best option (and the dirt they dig up can back fill by the house where we still have to grade). We have so much space on the lot and there is naturally no trees. A complete blank slate. Which was a little overwhelming at first, but is turning out to be a fun project.

The reason I joined this group was to hopefully build my knowledge of ponds and the maintenance of them, and also to have a place to ask questions as this is new territory for both me and my husband. I have already read a handful of articles I found at various websites, and several posts on this forum. I have learned a lot but I have a feeling I have just scratched the surface. I figure if we have to have a pond for excess water anyway, may as well see what I can do to pretty it up, and make it a backyard feature we, and the wildlife, can enjoy.

Looking forward to this new venture, and hope to get to know some of you all throughout my learning process!

Happy Sunday!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@BeckyK
Might as well use all that free water for a pond. This will be a fun one watching how things progress.
Hope we can help you w/any questions or help you might need :happy:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Welcome @BeckyK !
A pond build with a high water table will provide some interesting challenges.
Post some pictures while you dig and we'll be glad to help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I wonder if you are talking about a truly natural pond, vs. one made with a liner and pumps and filtration and whatnot. Are you thinking more of a natural farm pond? If so, I think it would be really interesting to learn about it and follow your project! Welcome!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group of ponders!

What a neat project! I can visualize pumping the excess water through a bog type filter which then feeds the pond!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and what a chance you have for a water fall and stream .If you can get dirt you can build the pond area up higher ,They hole you dig may not be enough dirt for the project .Big rocks would help the effect of a natural spring running through your property .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Thanks all! Our lot is roughly 240 feet by 440 feet. Yesterday we staked out about where we want it to be. Rough size will be around 80 feet by 30-40 feet, but the plan is to make it as big as we need to get all the fill we need. It will probably be 10-12 feet in depth also, so we may get lucky that it's all we need.

To speak to some of the comments, we are going with a natural look. We are using the same excavator that our neighbor used for his, and it sounds like this guy will grade and line the edge but the whole pond won't be lined. Thinking of making a bog or two and will for sure be adding several water plants for natural filtration.

We definitely are planning to pump the sump water in there. I hadn't thought of needing a filter pump, but we will be running electrical out there so will look into that.

I'll make sure to get pictures to share throughout the project. In fact I'll take one of the blank slate as soon as I get home from work tonight.

Thank you again to everyone for the warm welcome!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
What a lovely idea! A big pond like that would be amazing. I see lots of challenges, but, I know it can be done. If it’s graded right, you’ll have a natural wetlands filter going on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
What a lovely idea! A big pond like that would be amazing. I see lots of challenges, but, I know it can be done. If it’s graded right, you’ll have a natural wetlands filter going on.
That is definitely what I'm hoping for. The guy we'll have excavate it knows ponds. But my fear is he'll put rocks all around the edge and I want cat tails and other water/marsh grasses up to the edge. But I am planning to get a rough drawing made so he can see my vision and hopefully accommodate. Can't wait to share this journey with you all!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Before you add regular cattails, get your smaller plants well established. Cattails will take over and out grow the competition. Their roots are edible though. Where are you located? Could you do a big wheeping willow? Those are pretty and you said you didn’t have any trees, willows like water. Be careful adding other non decorative varieties, the wood tends to be weak, so if your in a windy area, future generations will end up with broken branches non stop. I’ve got crap willows down by the arroyo, which have been there who knows how long, but they break in bad storms. Another question, have you thought of stocking your pond? With it being a natural type pond, and such a high water table, there’s every chance you’ll end up flooding on occasion, so fish that are considered invasive like goldfish and koi may not be a good idea.

Ask a Question