New to the Koi world

Reaction score
Hi my name is Brenda I started in May my pond is 2300 gallons. Next year I will be adding a bog. I have sick fish right now so pond is empty and fish are in a 300 gallon tank. The sides of my pond are dry now and some of it is purple dose anyone know why.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Hi Brenda . I'm sorry to hear you have a sick fish......I'm assuming it's a koi? Can you tell us a bit more about your pond and post some pictures of both the pond and fish? Why is your pond empty?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my name is Brenda I started in May my pond is 2300 gallons. Next year I will be adding a bog. I have sick fish right now so pond is empty and fish are in a 300 gallon tank. The sides of my pond are dry now and some of it is purple dose anyone know why.
Hi Brenda . I'm sorry to hear you have a sick fish......I'm assuming it's a koi? Can you tell us a bit more about your pond and post some pictures of both the pond and fish? Why is your pond empty?

Yes Brenda like Tuka we would like to know why you emptied yourpond to treat your koi and the only purple we ever see in the koi world is Potassium Permanganate have you been using this on the sides of your pond .
Next whilst your fish are in QT could you tell us what your treating for and why ?

Dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Why have you opened a second thread here on your koi Brenda?

Dave

I'm glad she did!
Maybe we can get the moderators to stop posting to the other thread, if Brenda is in agreement......?

Maybe we can start over, guys! Let's help Brenda with her problem, try to stay on-topic, and give constructive opinions and ways to get her through this. Let's educate by setting a friendly & professional example......

This is a nice introduction, Brenda, and WELCOME to the forum! I am starting a bog myself -- there is a lot of great information on here about bogs. @addy1 is our "resident bog expert!"
Addy has a really good "sticky" thread in the POND CONSTRUCTION forum about bog building.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, starting over: We always ask new members to give us some basic information about their ponds. It helps us know where to start when it comes to helping you. So, even though you posted in the other thread, please give us your pond parameters again,
  • size of pond (dimensions, depth.....)
  • number and size of fish (skip -- as we already know you have a high fish-load -- no need to beat that dead horse [no offense -- I love horses!] )
  • water testing -- most recent [and historic, it you keep up with it] water test parameters: ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH, water temp, KH & GH
  • type of filtration; aeration; etc.
  • how often & now much to you feed
  • location of your pond -- shade, direct sunlight
  • we already know, no plants, correct?
  • we also know that she recently added new fish that were "quarantined" by the seller, but not by her [again, this is something that can be discussed later]
  • it was after these new fish were added that she started having problems, correct?

So, her question now is what is the purple, and is it something to be concerned about? I think that Brenda wants to get her pond filled back up ASAP, so she can get her fish out of holding and back in the pond.

Reaction score
my pond is 2300 gallons its goes from 3 to 4 feet deep its 17x13. I did have plants in it they are now in buckets. I have some pond river rock on bottom my liner is firestone my waterfall is about 3 feet high. filtration I have a matala biostep and a 3 feet deep filter at the top of the water fall with plants on the shelf. My aerator is matala with two 9 inch stones. I also have a fountain in the middle. I had 19 fish about 6-7 inches long and about 100 fish that range from 2-4 inches long. As for testing I use API master kit. ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates almost 40, ph 7.4. I have not added K+. The only thing I have added is pond cleaner by pond builder. Now I have about 50 fish. I feed them once a day what they can eat in 3 minutes and remove what they don't which usually isn't much. in some shade and some sun depends on the day but when its really hot I have an umbrella that I put over it for shade from the deck

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
No dont appologise Brenda its not your fault:)
Welcome to the Forum please dont feel I'm giving you a hard time I'm not :) sometimes it may seem that way but it isnt we are only trying to get to the bottom of and help you help yourself ;)

Dave (y)

Reaction score
Thanks everyone I just need help with what to do with this purple stuff.

Attachments

• 10309178_810437068990677_1630874227992229576_n.jpg
    10309178_810437068990677_1630874227992229576_n.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 283
  • 10309178_810437068990677_1630874227992229576_n.jpg
    10309178_810437068990677_1630874227992229576_n.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 242
Reaction score
No dont appologise Brenda its not your fault:)
Welcome to the Forum please dont feel I'm giving you a hard time I'm not :) sometimes it may seem that way but it isnt we are only trying to get to the bottom of and help you help yourself ;)

Dave (y)
I am just worried that I am going to lose all my fish.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome! And sorry about the trouble your having with your fish.

I'm not sure what the purple color is from but since you didn't use any chemical in your pond I'm wondering if it is something in the water? Do you have city or well water?

Ask a Question