New to the pond world

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, My name is Joe and I have recently just moved in to a house which has a large pond with koi and goldfish. The owners left no instructions whatsoever on feeding the fish or maintaining the pond, all I managed to get after continual questioning was that they are fed a hand full of dry dog food every other day!! I am quickly starting to realise that this is not good:confused:

I have looked at the filter that I believe is gravity fed and it doesn't seem to be doing its job that well, I have attached pics of the set up and just need some advise on what I need to do to get the water cleaner and how the filter box media should be set up, doesn't look like its doing anything!? Seem to get a lot of foaming, especially in the mornings.

From what I can see the pond has 6 large Koi (up to 2ft long!) and about 50 goldfish!! which I already know is far to many.....but what do I do with the ones I can keep???

Any info will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers :)

Attachments

• IMG_0608.jpg
    IMG_0608.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0606.jpg
    IMG_0606.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0605.jpg
    IMG_0605.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0578.jpg
    IMG_0578.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0577.jpg
    IMG_0577.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0576.jpg
    IMG_0576.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0575.jpg
    IMG_0575.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 69
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Welcome to the wonderful world of ponding. :D From what I can see in your pictures, you really don't have any plants in there to compete with the algae. That's the first thing I'd add - lots & lots of plants.

Second, it might be the angle of the picture, but it looks like the side along the fence sort of slopes down so run off would go straight into the pond on that side? That can cause problems depending on how much of what (dirt, chemicals, etc...) might wash in. I'd try to redo that side to raise the pond edge, or dig a trench in between it & the fence (perhaps put in some drain tile?) to get that water away from the pond.

I know less than nothing about filters, so I'll let others advise on that.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for your reply! Yes, I will definitely get that edge sorted out. In the last couple of days (forgot to mention) I have added a water Lilly which has a bit of growing to do but will also add plenty more other plants to help it. (y)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Do you have any idea how much water the pond holds? And, do you have a water test kit? Why not test your water (we recommend liquid test kits rather than test strips) for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and pH at the minimum and get back with us on those number results. Your water might be healthier than it looks to you. After that, there are ways to make the water look prettier!

Agree that the sides might need to be elevated (liner propped up on a dirt berm). It does look like the pond will get run-off from the yard which can be very bad for the water quality.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hello, My name is Joe and I have recently just moved in to a house which has a large pond with koi and goldfish. The owners left no instructions whatsoever on feeding the fish or maintaining the pond, all I managed to get after continual questioning was that they are fed a hand full of dry dog food every other day!! I am quickly starting to realise that this is not good:confused:

I have looked at the filter that I believe is gravity fed and it doesn't seem to be doing its job that well, I have attached pics of the set up and just need some advise on what I need to do to get the water cleaner and how the filter box media should be set up, doesn't look like its doing anything!? Seem to get a lot of foaming, especially in the mornings.

From what I can see the pond has 6 large Koi (up to 2ft long!) and about 50 goldfish!! which I already know is far to many.....but what do I do with the ones I can keep???

Any info will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers :)
from what I can see, your filter is not gravity fed, but rather, your waterfall is. This means you have a pump, probably a submersible. The filter area shows brushes and different chambers. This is more or less a mechanical filter, though if you have any biomedia (plastic balls, pieces, ribbons, lava rock) in any of those chambers, that is your bio filtration. If you're serious about cleaning your pond up and don't want to deal with this type of filter (usually requires regular maintenance of some kind and is not as efficient as what I'm going to suggest), consider putting in a bog (upflow wetland filtration) as it'll give you a lot more time to enjoy and a lot less labor maintaining it. Search for 'bog' here and you'll see many threads to help you learn. See if this interests you--there are many testimonials, including myself.

Agree with adding more plants; think floating types like water hyacinth and water lettuce. But if you do, watch to see if your fish (the koi, primarily) start eating the roots. If so, you can get/make floating nets that will protect the plants. You want this type as they directly filter the water column and outcompete the free floating algae which turns the pond solid green and doesn't add to your enjoyment (though the fish don't mind at all).

The string I see in your pics is to keep flying predators away from your pond.

The once pic of the tube-like-thing is a UV light, which is used to kill the free floating algae I mentioned above. Knowing you have that means the previous owner didn't depend on plants to help the pond. If you go 'bog', you'll not need the light anymore. You won't need the brushes or filter box, either, and your whole setup will be esthetically more pleasing, imo.

I don't think you're in any trouble re the many goldfish and few larger koi; if you get your filtration up to snuff, you'll be fine. I wouldn't add any more, though.

Feeding; don't overfeed as this is probably the number one cause of an unbalanced pond. I feed once a day, maybe, and for as little as 'one handful' until I see they've all got something in their mouths. That's it. The fish will feed on the good algae growing on anything under the water.

Water lilies are nice to see and provide needed shade in the summer but are not the best re filtering the water. There's better types, as I noted above. You can also get marginals and work them into the sides of your pond by either creating shelves or hanging pots from wires/string from the sides. Marginals don't like their crowns covered in water, or very shallowly will be okay. If you go bog, you'll get a lot of the necessary plants we talk about here.

Okay, hope this helps!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome!

Do you have any idea how much water the pond holds? And, do you have a water test kit? Why not test your water (we recommend liquid test kits rather than test strips) for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and pH at the minimum and get back with us on those number results. Your water might be healthier than it looks to you. After that, there are ways to make the water look prettier!

Agree that the sides might need to be elevated (liner propped up on a dirt berm). It does look like the pond will get run-off from the yard which can be very bad for the water quality.

Hi, Thanks for the reply! I haven't calculated the ponds water volume yet but will do this. I found an old electronic water tester in the garage so will try to get this up and running and test the water levels, the fish seem happy enough apart from being scared away by a heron this morning!:oops:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
from what I can see, your filter is not gravity fed, but rather, your waterfall is. This means you have a pump, probably a submersible. The filter area shows brushes and different chambers. This is more or less a mechanical filter, though if you have any biomedia (plastic balls, pieces, ribbons, lava rock) in any of those chambers, that is your bio filtration. If you're serious about cleaning your pond up and don't want to deal with this type of filter (usually requires regular maintenance of some kind and is not as efficient as what I'm going to suggest), consider putting in a bog (upflow wetland filtration) as it'll give you a lot more time to enjoy and a lot less labor maintaining it. Search for 'bog' here and you'll see many threads to help you learn. See if this interests you--there are many testimonials, including myself.

Agree with adding more plants; think floating types like water hyacinth and water lettuce. But if you do, watch to see if your fish (the koi, primarily) start eating the roots. If so, you can get/make floating nets that will protect the plants. You want this type as they directly filter the water column and outcompete the free floating algae which turns the pond solid green and doesn't add to your enjoyment (though the fish don't mind at all).

The string I see in your pics is to keep flying predators away from your pond.

The once pic of the tube-like-thing is a UV light, which is used to kill the free floating algae I mentioned above. Knowing you have that means the previous owner didn't depend on plants to help the pond. If you go 'bog', you'll not need the light anymore. You won't need the brushes or filter box, either, and your whole setup will be esthetically more pleasing, imo.

I don't think you're in any trouble re the many goldfish and few larger koi; if you get your filtration up to snuff, you'll be fine. I wouldn't add any more, though.

Feeding; don't overfeed as this is probably the number one cause of an unbalanced pond. I feed once a day, maybe, and for as little as 'one handful' until I see they've all got something in their mouths. That's it. The fish will feed on the good algae growing on anything under the water.

Water lilies are nice to see and provide needed shade in the summer but are not the best re filtering the water. There's better types, as I noted above. You can also get marginals and work them into the sides of your pond by either creating shelves or hanging pots from wires/string from the sides. Marginals don't like their crowns covered in water, or very shallowly will be okay. If you go bog, you'll get a lot of the necessary plants we talk about here.

Okay, hope this helps!

Thanks for this in depth advise, this is great! I have a lot of work to do (y)

As you mentioned, there is a pump in the pond with a satellite extension on it, it is an Oase aquamax pump, I can just make out the numbers 16,000 It looks like an old model as I cant seem to find it on the web. I found a small note in the garage saying "in the event of a power cut, the pump needs to be restarted but flicking the white impellor with a screw driver" sounds like the pump is on its way out to me :confused:

I will look in to the "Bog" set up, this sounds like a good idea!

Cheers!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum! Glad you joined! Nice pond btw

Ask a Question