New to the site - great site - Small pond owner in Edgewater, MD

Reaction score
Hello -
I am new to the site but I like all the discussions. Great site to read on the various items as well as DIY pond folks. I am looking to change my waterfall in the back to more of a water wall fall. Spanning more along the back. I am looking at using the Laguna 2900 pump. I have a separate Laguana pump for the bio filter. I saw the 2" pipes to water weirs - cool. I think I will add that to my plan. My thoughts are to use my current waterfall weir and add the 2 inch lines shown on the other discussions. I want to split the flow out of the 2900 pump into 1/2 going to the current weir (it will be moved to the left more) and add two more 2 inch pipe weirs - do you think the Laguna pump will be enough.

Great forum guys and gals..

Attachments

• Pond.jpg
    Pond.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 364

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and are you staying with the same size and how deep is your pond and what kind of fish do you have 'I guess by looking at your pics you are not going above the deck so you can still see the pond ..The pond looks nice the way you built it as you can hear and see it from the deck makes a pleasant and relaxing place to park yourself and relax .I built mine using retaining wall block right off my covered front porch .I do like a natural pond look but had limitations to where I wanted it so I could enjoy the most like your is .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to the forums! :wave:

Your pond looks lovely, I particularly like the Japanese Maple.

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. It is 3 feet deep - it is about 1700 gals. I know I will have overkill with the 2900 GPH but I want to make a water wall along the white lattice work. I plan to have a short stream come from the right side as you look at the pond. This past summer I expanded outward so I could see it from the deck and while inside. I have about 20 various size koi - 10 inch is the biggest in the pond. I know it is a little too much but with the flow I plan to put into the pond and waterfall I think I will have a pretty good water turn over.
I like the Japenese Maples. I have another one on the opposite side of the landscaping where I plan to start a little stream back to the pond.

Addy thank you for the link to the calculator.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I guess you have it all figured out and that is a good depth for your pond and the water wall will add a lot of air to your pond .What and how are you going to build your water wall with .It will really make a nice sound too and you should be fine with the pump as you can divert it to other things and get even more air going into your pond .Hope you post pics

Reaction score
Thanks Sissy. Any recommendation of pumps to stay away from? I plan to get a Laguana - it has a 3 year warrantee and is a magnetic drive.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sorry I buy cheap harbor freight pumps around 20 or 30 dollars and for 3 year warranty 5 dollars and they have had one onsale that was bigger than mine .I have 2 one is 940 gph and the other is 1268 gph and thats because I have koi and i like the clearer water and my pond really has to many fish 13 now and 2 of my koi are over 2 ft long. I also have goldfish .There seem to be a lot of people on here that like the laguana's though and I'm sure they can tell you more of which ones to look at . You can also google pond pumps and ratings and it will tell you which ones are rated the best and you can get some great deals on e-bay , pond depot online and even northerin tool has pond pumps .I try to always get ones that have good warranties and that the companies honour there warranty .The reason I have 2 is it is better to have 2 or at least a back up if one goes out .You never know .The first year I had my pond the only pump I had which was a tetra went out and I scrambled around trying to get another .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The pond guy I just noticed is moving and he has a big sale also on laguana pumps and lots of other stuff for your ponds.The pond guy has pond pliers 19.99 and ducklings to float in your pond starting at 99 cents

Reaction score
Sissy - great info. Thank you for the data. Websonline (Webs water gardens) has the pumps for a really good price - the 2900 runs $135 with shipping.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
thats a good price and I was looking at those ducklings they have at that sight for pond guy .Thats whats great about the internet you can get some great comparison shopping done without going nuts .I usually go on price grabbers and put it what I want and check the comparison prices they have there and try to get free shipping always .

Ask a Question