new to this fourm...howdy everyone

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome
Nice of you to join us, your experience will certainly benefit the community.

My guess would be your not a bog filter kind of keeper of koi.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
that is funny you mention bog or filter because the koi farm in NC when I asked them had told me all they used was aeration and no filter .They told me they grow better and are healthier with no filter
Welcome
Nice of you to join us, your experience will certainly benefit the community.

My guess would be your not a bog filter kind of keeper of koi.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Welcome!
Can you tell us about your pond(s). Filtration, size, aeration, water features, etc.
Many of us can benefit from your expert experience.
Do you ship fish that you sell or just sell locally? Some may be interested in that too.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome!
Can you tell us about your pond(s). Filtration, size, aeration, water features, etc.
Many of us can benefit from your expert experience.
Do you ship fish that you sell or just sell locally? Some may be interested in that too.
thanks for the welcome every ones making me feel right at home. about my ponds, big pond 10000+ small pond 4500+ #3 pond 2000 gal i also have a breeding area with a few 100 gal and a 150 Q. tank, filter is a 4.4 with a blower aquadyne. other are home made bio filters. sorry i dont ship fish... but your welcome here . not much on water features but i do have a big brass mermaid that squirts water.ill post pics in june...im still finding my way around in here...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Pity, about not shipping. I want a single koi, butterfly, so that when the time comes, I can have koigolds! I want to cross them with shubinkin, I love long flowing fins! But first, I have to finish my pond. And I think I’d better start with shubinkin, let them breed a bit before adding koi.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Come to think of it, St. Louis isn’t all that far, we do occasionally go to Springfield to visit hubbys family... do you raise butterfly koi? Lol. And while I’m out that way, I just might find more nifty rocks for edging, plants, and hardscaping. Sigh, my pond being ready for koi is still a few years off, but I’d like to find a breeder I know for when that time comes.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Come to think of it, St. Louis isn’t all that far, we do occasionally go to Springfield to visit hubbys family... do you raise butterfly koi? Lol. And while I’m out that way, I just might find more nifty rocks for edging, plants, and hardscaping. Sigh, my pond being ready for koi is still a few years off, but I’d like to find a breeder I know for when that time comes.
im sorry jamie, i dont raise long fins. only standard koi. but your still welcome here anytime.come on buy ill treat the koi with a watermelon i got a 30pounder that will jump in your lap and cry for a bite...shes 37 years old...

Reaction score
Country
United States
that is funny you mention bog or filter because the koi farm in NC when I asked them had told me all they used was aeration and no filter .They told me they grow better and are healthier with no filter
@ sissy, i dont want to offend anyone, but im gonna try to explain the best i can...some koi dealers in the USA will say anything to get you to buy fish, equipment, supplies . i have seen this first hand many times. im now gonna explain. the reason SOME koi farms use no filters, expense,ele . bills. equipment, and the maintenance.they dont feed the fish!!!! if you want healthy BIG fish you must feed. the more you feed the bigger they get..the ONLY way to keep healthy fish is with good water quality.with a bog filter it can not happen at some time you are gonna need to add salt[koi pond] a high dose of salt will kill all plants, not good for bogs, the salt will not go no where till its removed from water. most bog owners grow water gardens not koi. most will experience a foul rotten egg smell from such ponds, from the bacteria trying to keep up with a fish load most have a backyard full of mosquitoes .most dont feed from fear of overload ..i like fish and lots of fish lots of color, the ONLY way to achieve this is with a filter, food , good husbandry. the exception to this rule is A MUD POND you can grow koi healthy FAST in a mud pond, because of the minerals the clay found in japan proves this thats why i use CLAY in my ponds. note fish will still produce ammonia even when not fed. i have a pond right now, 4500 gal with 185 koi in there . my big pond can hold 500 lbs of fish feeding 5lbs of food a day. i have lost one fish in my 42years of keeping koi. knock on wood .she was 35 years old. i did struggle some in my early years there was no internet[ if its on the internet its gotta be true] there is a japaneese guy on the net now he lives in cal.he claims his fish are so good he sells them to japan fish dealers LOLOL .. its against the laws in japan to import koi. to do this its easy but you gotta care for the fish.bogs in my opinion are for water gardens kinda old school .but to each his own i have nothing against them some are very pretty. as far as growing faster NOT true , better not true, healthier not true. if you want to keep your koi healthy grow faster bigger you better be looking at a big filter system, with uv, air flow, water movement, AND GOOD FOOD if you want BIG healthy loads of fish. you gotta watch pond suppliers like a hawk..most are dishonest and will say whatever it takes sell you anything.here is a good example. [ you gotta use pond salt ] you ever heard that 1 gal 3.00 the truth is any salt with NOTHING added is fine home depo 50# 4.00 good example..heres another ph up 5.00 cup , [baking soda 3 gal ] how about ph down 1 pint 500.... you can make this for 500 for15 gal. or more.. imagine that...ill be glad to help anyone anytime to the best of my knowledge...40 + years. mike

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
No offense taken and my koi were bought back in 2005 and I have 2 lava rock filters and have added lots of aeration and seems my 2 koi are doing great .I also have butterfly and my little butt wigglers that I love .I do not and never have spent a lot on my pond .I grew up with my dad and I building a pond on our farm and he used lava rock and I use it with very little problems .I am not in a cold climate here and the pond is in full sun and summers here can be brutal hot and dry .Biggest problem I have had is with neighbors dogs and moles that chewed my liner .I just feel the more air you introduce to a pond helps more .I even have air hoses in my filters .I am slowly getting rid of my fish as I wish I had done a pondless feature .I do not have much time for the pond with 3 acres and all the housework and grocery shopping to do .Then now I am putting down new floor by myself .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am new to the bog life but it is very similar to what i constructed with a small planted aquarium. Small being 90 gallon display with a water proof shelf the tank pulled a foot off the wall and a three foot water fall dropping into the top of the tank. AND to top it off i had two shaft tail finches flying above the open tank as i placed screen from the front of the top of the rounded tank to the ceiling making a mini avery. The avatar that i am using here to my screen name is that tank. The point to all this is i don't believe this or that is the only way to keep,grow or have thrive fish. While I can appreciate a picture window fih pond/ tank with polished water and the fish all looking like they have never had a scale out of place. That is not nature and mother nature is amazing. they said Tranobel would be inhabitable for 1000 years and yet people have moved back there today. are they finding 2 headed frogs these days i do not know but i do know they have found some of the largest bucks with very impressive racks in that area.The point is mother nature is very resilient. Wet dry filters and bog filters are making huge strides today in sewer treatment stations. So much so that the waters being treated have been found to be " cleaner" then waters up stream. The planted tank everyone told me i had to fertilize to get the plants to grow. I experimented a very little with them and it was not for me. I never fed the fish " tetras mainly " but i did feed the birds and the birds bred like crazy we had clutch after clutch two birds became almost 6 or 8 birds constantly. The birds popped off a branch and sometimes it landed in the open tank and the fish devoured it. or it fertilized the plants above the water level. It broke all the rules at that point in time but it worked non the less. https://www.aquariacentral.com/foru...rium-im-unsure-but-i-think-youll-like.110988/
So here is the next venture a pond . so far so good time will tell.

Ask a Question