New to this group hope to learn and or teach

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have created underwater caverns to keep fish safe from predators, lost several to the blue herons prior. Is there a pond fish that controls the flying gnats? Minnows and mosquito fish just get eaten. Thank you

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Netting over the top of the pond keeps the bird's at bay. Suspend it so that the bird's can't peck the fish below.
As for bug eaters, it depends on what is eating the fish. If bird's, the net will fix that. If you have fish eating them, then add plants for the smaller fish to hide from predatory fish.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Netting over the top of the pond keeps the bird's at bay. Suspend it so that the bird's can't peck the fish below.
As for bug eaters, it depends on what is eating the fish. If bird's, the net will fix that. If you have fish eating them, then add plants for the smaller fish to hide from predatory fish.
The predator problem is fixed, looking for ways to control large gnat populations

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Tell us a little about your pond set up, and pictures can be helpful, as well, to give us an idea of the area you are talking about. So, you don’t currently have any fish, is that what I understand?

Do the gnats land on the water or just fly around? IDK anything about gnats, but if they aren’t in the water at some point, I don’t think there is a fish that will eliminate them. Maybe someone else can help you.

Maybe traps, either store-bought or DIY...?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1589924967465.gif
@Spiderguy
Wow finally someone else who loves spiders!
I think you need more spiders down at your pond to grab the bugs or maybe lots of frogs or Renfield!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Tell us a little about your pond set up, and pictures can be helpful, as well, to give us an idea of the area you are talking about. So, you don’t currently have any fish, is that what I understand?

Do the gnats land on the water or just fly around? IDK anything about gnats, but if they aren’t in the water at some point, I don’t think there is a fish that will eliminate them. Maybe someone else can help you.

Maybe traps, either store-bought or DIY...?
Guess they didn't attach
15899358533744434874621243975950.jpg
15899358948594484770686411110120.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
That is beautiful! If the heron problems are solved, a few minnows, or if you are in a tropical area, guppies or bettas, will solve the problem.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Beautiful pond and property!

This is supposed to work and it does indoors as I have tried it but for outdoors you would need quite a few containers or maybe just one big one near your pond:

Make an attractant by mixing together 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, 2 cups of water and 2 tablespoons of sugar. Stir in a few drops of dish washing liquid and pour the solution into several jars. Set the jars in places where the gnats are congregating, indoors or out, such as near your garden or on the kitchen windowsill. Leave the traps in place as long as necessary to attract and kill the gnats.

Ask a Question