New to this! Please help!

Ava

Reaction score
Country
United States
D03F1340-3E65-4616-B19A-4F219D6AF334.jpeg
I bought a home with a Koi pond just over three years ago. Finally, with much trial and error and a lot of money spent we finally figured out how not to kill our poor fish. We’ve now had these koi fish for almost two years and they are going strong. The pond is large. It’s 6,000 gallons and 5 feet deep.

I would like to add some sort of vegetation to the pond but it’s a difficult set up. It’s in a pool enclosure and no grass around it to plant anything. Here is a photo. Any thoughts as to what I could do?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
That's an absolutely beautiful koi pond--not a garden pond. My recommendation is to PLEASE PLEASE not put any plants in the water. How about some potted plants around the edges?

Ava

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's an absolutely beautiful koi pond--not a garden pond. My recommendation is to PLEASE PLEASE not put any plants in the water. How about some potted plants around the edges?

Thank you. I didn’t put it in...the previous owner did. I have finally reached a point where I am happy to have the fish! They were a lot of work for a while.

So I’m not supposed to put plants in the water? I thought it was good for the fish...no?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and you could use window screening to make my plant pockets to hang off the side of the pond .I have been using them for years now .No dirt needed and koi can't destroy them

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! That is a beautiful pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
So I’m not supposed to put plants in the water? I thought it was good for the fish...no?

Not for a dedicated koi pond, no. I'm not sure what you have for mechanical filtration and bio filtration but well designed right-sized filters are going to be much more efficient than a few plants without the dirt.

Ava

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not for a dedicated koi pond, no. I'm not sure what you have for mechanical filtration and bio filtration but well designed right-sized filters are going to be much more efficient than a few plants without the dirt.

The reason why I wanted to add plants is because we just went through hurricane Irma and lost power. I was scared that we would lose our fish because the filter and water fall were not working. Thankfully we only lost power for 36 hours so the fish were fine...but I figured if I had plants in there then they would provide oxygen incase we lost power again in the future.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
The advantage of plants is that they absorb ammonia which protects your fish gills... the disadvantage in this set up is that you have no where to put them and keep them safe from your koi..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome to the Forum!
Very beautiful pond!
If you don't want plants in it, how about purchasing a generator for when you lose power?

Ava

Reaction score
Country
United States
The advantage of plants is that they absorb ammonia which protects your fish gills... the disadvantage in this set up is that you have no where to put them and keep them safe from your koi..

I had no idea that koi kill plants until I read that on these forums. Thank you.

Ava

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome and you could use window screening to make my plant pockets to hang off the side of the pond .I have been using them for years now .No dirt needed and koi can't destroy them

Could you explain this more to me? You plant in window screens and then put them down to the bottom of the pond? They grow and the fish do not bother them?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I had no idea that koi kill plants until I read that on these forums. Thank you.

They don't destroy them... They eat them. The bigger they are the more hungry they are.... Water pigs.

Ask a Question