New to this! Please help!

Discussion in 'Fish & Koi Talk' started by Ava, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Ava

Ava

D03F1340-3E65-4616-B19A-4F219D6AF334.jpeg I bought a home with a Koi pond just over three years ago. Finally, with much trial and error and a lot of money spent we finally figured out how not to kill our poor fish. We’ve now had these koi fish for almost two years and they are going strong. The pond is large. It’s 6,000 gallons and 5 feet deep.

I would like to add some sort of vegetation to the pond but it’s a difficult set up. It’s in a pool enclosure and no grass around it to plant anything. Here is a photo. Any thoughts as to what I could do?

Ava, Nov 3, 2017
    Gemma and bagsmom like this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Ava

bagsmom

Wow! That is gorgeous!

bagsmom, Nov 3, 2017
    Ava likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Ava

audioenvy

That's an absolutely beautiful koi pond--not a garden pond. My recommendation is to PLEASE PLEASE not put any plants in the water. How about some potted plants around the edges?

audioenvy, Nov 3, 2017
    barryian and Ava like this.
  4. Ava

Ava

Thank you. I didn’t put it in...the previous owner did. I have finally reached a point where I am happy to have the fish! They were a lot of work for a while.

So I’m not supposed to put plants in the water? I thought it was good for the fish...no?

Ava, Nov 3, 2017
  5. Ava

Ava

Thank you!

Ava, Nov 3, 2017
  6. Ava

sissy sissy

Welcome and you could use window screening to make my plant pockets to hang off the side of the pond .I have been using them for years now .No dirt needed and koi can't destroy them

sissy, Nov 3, 2017
    Ava likes this.
  7. Ava

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Welcome to our group! That is a beautiful pond!

addy1, Nov 3, 2017
    Ava likes this.
  8. Ava

audioenvy

Not for a dedicated koi pond, no. I'm not sure what you have for mechanical filtration and bio filtration but well designed right-sized filters are going to be much more efficient than a few plants without the dirt.

audioenvy, Nov 3, 2017
  9. Ava

Ava

The reason why I wanted to add plants is because we just went through hurricane Irma and lost power. I was scared that we would lose our fish because the filter and water fall were not working. Thankfully we only lost power for 36 hours so the fish were fine...but I figured if I had plants in there then they would provide oxygen incase we lost power again in the future.

Ava, Nov 4, 2017
  10. Ava

bettasngoldfish Maria

bettasngoldfish, Nov 4, 2017
    Ava likes this.
  11. Ava

Faebinder

The advantage of plants is that they absorb ammonia which protects your fish gills... the disadvantage in this set up is that you have no where to put them and keep them safe from your koi..

Faebinder, Nov 4, 2017
    Ava likes this.
  12. Ava

Gemma

Welcome to the Forum!
    Very beautiful pond!
    If you don't want plants in it, how about purchasing a generator for when you lose power?

Gemma, Nov 4, 2017
    Ava likes this.
  13. Ava

Ava

I had no idea that koi kill plants until I read that on these forums. Thank you.

Ava, Nov 4, 2017
  14. Ava

Ava

Could you explain this more to me? You plant in window screens and then put them down to the bottom of the pond? They grow and the fish do not bother them?

Ava, Nov 4, 2017
  15. Ava

Faebinder

They don't destroy them... They eat them. The bigger they are the more hungry they are.... Water pigs.

Faebinder, Nov 4, 2017
  16. Ava

Lisak1

I feel like shouting this from the rooftops: NOT ALL KOI ARE PLANT KILLERS! We have a plant filled pond with a mix of koi and goldfish and we have NO PROBLEM with our plants. I feel like koi get such a bad rap! They are just fish people - not natural born killers!

Having said that - they do like to root around as they are natural bottom feeders. I think one reason our plants are left alone is that our fish have lots of gravel and small stones to poke around in on the pond bottom. They only time they are interested in my plants is when I move the lily pots around - then they want to see what was UNDER them. If they don't have gravel and rocks in the pond bottom they probably will poke around in your plants. But ours have NEVER EVER EVER even nibbled on a lily pad, let alone destroyed them. Same with all our other marginals and floaters - they nibble the roots off the water hyacinth, but that's it.

Here's proof - pond full of plants with 8 big koi and lots of goldfish. Peaceful coexistence!

August 1.JPG

Lisak1, Nov 4, 2017
  17. Ava

sissy sissy

mine destroyed them when they were young (just bad kids ) but I found as they got older they stopped .I also put in floating balls and plastic floating baby ducks and they love playing with them .Made wonder if sometimes they were just bored

sissy, Nov 4, 2017
  18. Ava

Lisak1

That's what I think - the gravel and rocks in our pond bottom give them something to do so they aren't getting in trouble!

Lisak1, Nov 4, 2017
    sissy likes this.
  19. Ava

sissy sissy

I buy those giant plastic christmas balls after the get clearanced and plug the end and they love them .I will see them push the baby ducks all around the pond and the balls .

sissy, Nov 4, 2017
  20. Ava

Lisak1

@Ava - so sorry to rant on your thread! haha! I feel like koi get profiled here as being impossible to keep with plants and I have to be the great defender! Don't mind me - I'm rather nuts.

ANYWAY! Your pond is lovely! I could see a couple of potted water lilies or even some potted lotus in your pond - they can grow from the bottom... although make sure you find varieties that can handle your 5 foot depth. You can also add floating plants - hyacinths or water lettuce - to add some greenery. Someone else suggested the floating islands. You can buy those or even make your own and fill them with plants.

It looks like there's a structure over your pond - is it shaded?

Lisak1, Nov 4, 2017
    Gemma likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question