Tail rot? on body under fins...

Reaction score
Country
United States
20200308_120137.jpg
20200308_120153.jpg

I bought this Koi at Pet smart 2 weeks ago. I noticed a small black dot when I purchased it and they told me it was part of its markings. I put it in 40gallon quarantine tank with the 3 shubunkin gold fish I got when i bought it. I thought it was part of the markings on the fish but figured best to keep an eye on it. 5 days later it was very noticable and red around it. I went back to the store with this picture and the told me to use Jungle brand Fungus Clear fizz tabs. I bought it and immediately added it to tank. 4days later i changed 25% of water and added directed amount again. It is not getting better but dont seam to be getting better either. Sunny (my granddaughter named it) is eating fine and swimming around but now the top fin is down against body. Does anyone have any ideas of what to do? I really like this fish and am concerned its suffering. I'm not new to having Koi but DON'T know much about the care as when we bought our house the pond was established for over 6 years and the fish came with the house purchase. Ive had the house 3 years and have never had a problem or had a sick one none have died and there 8. They have had babies and ive given them to friends with ponds and traded with others. This is the first time ive had an issue and im at a loss of what to do next or how to help it or even how it got it! PLEASE HELP ANY IDEAS ARE BETTER THAN NOTHING!!!

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. Sorry about your troubles. Glad to see you quarantined it. Hard to say for sure but since it does not sound like a wound initially, it may be of parasitic origin which often results in a secondary bacterial infection.

This thread has some similar issues: https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/why-is-my-koi-sick.26232/#post-420710

Some common ailments with recommended treatments https://blueridgekoi.com/koi-goldfish-resources/koi-goldfish-health/

I see the medicine you used has antibiotics in it so I would consider adding something effective against parasites like quick cure or coppersafe.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. Sorry about your troubles. Glad to see you quarantined it. Hard to say for sure but since it does not sound like a wound initially, it may be of parasitic origin which often results in a secondary bacterial infection.

This thread has some similar issues: https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/why-is-my-koi-sick.26232/#post-420710

Some common ailments with recommended treatments https://blueridgekoi.com/koi-goldfish-resources/koi-goldfish-health/

I see the medicine you used has antibiotics in it so I would consider adding something effective against parasites like quick cure or coppersafe.

Attachments

• 15848016873962721181152534115830.jpg
    15848016873962721181152534115830.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 87
Reaction score
Country
United States
I stopped at Pet Smart since nothing else is open where I live. I'm hoping this may help! I'm really attached to this fish... It's so friendly and rubs against my hand/arm everytime I move something in the tank. It eats out of my hand its getting worse not swimming astound much now

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It looks like an ulcer, a bacterial infection. You need a good antibiotic to treat this. You can try neosporin ointment, but it's hard to get it to stick to a fish. You can order the same triple antiobiotic in a powder, called Tricide Neo. You can make a paste of that. Clean the area first with providone iodine which doesn't sting and then apply the paste.

While you are waiting for the Tricide Neo, you can clean the area and dab on some iodine.

Be sure to keep your water parameters as pristine as possible. Good water is the best medicine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
with the brand new pond and i fed the koi a lot i ended up with a couple fish getting an ulser i added stress coat / start right depending on the brand and the ulcers disappeared

Ask a Question