New to this

Reaction score
I'm Reed from Utah. We've had a small pond kit (from Costco) for about 6 years. This year we completely relandscaped our yard and put in a larger water feature. The upper pond is about 5X7 feet with the lower pond 10X15 feet. I love to sit outside in the evenings at watch the fish and de-stress from the day.

:100: The main issue I'm dealing with now is an aqautic snail infestation. There are thousands all over the rocks in the upper pond. I have no idea where they came from, unless it was the secondary irrigation water used to fill the pond, and I have no idea how to get rid of them. Surprisingly, there don't seem to be any snails in the lower pond. Could the fish be eating them? (I don't have any fish in the upper pond) Any help would be most appreciated.

I look forward to being part of this new community.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Lets hope some of the more experienced snail folks repy. I do not have and answer, but would like to know more as well.

Reaction score
Your fish are eathing them in the lower pond. I have snails in my filters only, the koi eat all the unwanted ones in my pond. The only ones I want are my trapdoor snails, which are too large for the koi to eat anyways.

As far as getting rid of them .. If you don't have any snails that you want to keep, there are chemical algaecides that are not healthy for snails, they warn not to use if you have them in your pond. You may want to give those a try.

"Microbe-Lift Algaway 5.4"

"Effective algaecide for ponds with fish and live ornamental plants. Stops algae growth associated with green pond water conditions. Also controls stubborn string algae. For small ponds with heavy algae growth, clean the excess algae off the sides and ornaments before adding Microbe-Lift Algaway 5.4. Provide proper aeration via waterfall, fountain or other method to prevent fish loss. 16 oz treats 5,678 gallons.

Not for use in ponds with ornamental snails, shrimps and other crustaceans and mollusks."

Reaction score
:profile: Hello reed from Utah good to have you on board. I am also from Utah. Small town mid state. Love it here! gayla's the name vet tech by trade. Welcome:banana::compute:

Reaction score
Snails aren't really a bad thing IMHO. They are part of a natural pond and normally kept in balance by being eaten by fish.

When I built my pond the snails appeared along with the frogs and crayfish. I added a bunch of "inexpensive" gold fish and the balance has been taken care of naturally since.

Move a few fish to the upper pond and I bet you'll see the snails dissapear quickly.:profile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cisifom

Latest Threads